X.the puppet master

Start from the beginning

At the corner of Genesis' eyes, he saw it again, the reddening of her cheeks.

Narrowing his eyes, Genesis felt a spark of anger inside. For some reason, he doesn't like seeing Agatha blushing on any other man, especially Devon.

His friend, let's just say, had it all. The white privilege, the good looks and charm, and his sweet-talk that could swoon numerous women in the pub.

Back in his gunslinger days, one of his pal Ibarra described Devon as 'handsome as sin'

Also, why is Devon calling Agatha 'hun'?

Before Genesis knew it, he rose from his seat, fetched his brown hat on the side, "Devon and I better get going,"

Agatha lifted her head from her seat at his words, obviously crestfallen for not eating the food she had prepared.

Truth be told, Genesis felt guilty about it. Everything Agatha cooks is more than delicious. He just lost his appetite at the idea of the three of them eating altogether, all while Devon is looking at Agatha as if he was undressing her.

Devon, meanwhile, gave him a confused and startled look, "But Agatha here prepared such delicious food, Genesis and you know we hadn't eaten anything heavenly like this in ranch,"

Narrowing his eyes, gripping his hat, he remained persistent, "I said let's go, Devon. We still have so many things to do,"

"Come on, man, loosen up a little," responded Devon, chuckling, chugging down the scrambled egg.

"Mr. Grumpy pants here must've woken up on the wrong side of the bed," Devon teased, winking at Agatha who can't help herself from softly chuckling at his words.

Genesis lost it, with that, he stormed off the house, his loud footfalls echoing, leaving Agatha stunned and Devon confused.

Agatha had watched the whole banter with confusion, thinking perhaps that's what their friendship is all about.

It's no foreign to her. She heard tons and tons of men back in Cedarburg alternate between laughing and tearing each other apart.

Agatha stopped in her train of thoughts when her ears picked up the masculine sound of Devon's chuckle, a few seats away from her, shaking his head.

Gingerly rosing from his seat, his fingers curled around his hat, tipping his head, he said, "Thanks for the meal, hun, I better follow Genesis,"

With that, Agatha was left all alone, with unfinished plates before her.

Letting out a soft sigh, Agatha began cleaning them up, her mind drifting to why Genesis seems not himself today.

Being paranoid, Agatha had already conjured many reasons why Genesis seems furious.

Was it due to her cooking?

Her red hair that even she was ultimately insecure about? Oh, if only she there's a hair dye here somewhere.

Was it because of her ugly ragged dress? And that he was ashamed of her, looking like a beggar in front of his friend?

Agatha swore she'll finish sewing the dress tonight. No more, no less.

After an hour, Agatha knew Genesis would've been ultimately starving now, considering he hasn't eaten breakfast and his tasks require much energy.

With that, Agatha hurriedly prepared a meal for him, carefully packing it in cloth, a jug filled with water as well. Agatha was already in the doorway when she realized Devon was with Genesis.

Eager not to humiliate Genesis, Agatha prepared a set of the meal for Devon as well.

As soon as Agatha caught sight of them at the field, Agatha released a sigh of relief, thanking the Heavens-Above for wearing shirts for God knows she couldn't handle seeing half-naked men.