Chapter 30 - Amazing Who You'll Meet In The Crypts

Start from the beginning

"Found it," Alkanos said, touching the ring with his fingertips. "I hope I don't have to break his fingers."

Cordelia held the sword out of the way, so Alkanos could try to coax the ring off the cold, stuff, fingers.

If this had been under normal circumstances, Alkanos would have breathed a controlled flame, just close enough to loosen   King Marco's hands.  He decided against this, for fear of burning his father or accidentally melting the ring.

"I'm sorry, father." Alkanos finally said, maneuvering the cold and creaking fingers.

He still couldn't get the ring.

"I'm sorry. Please forgive me." He said, sliding the ring off until it was caught on a boney joint.

With a twist, the ring came off, breaking the finger with a SNAP!

"I'm sorry." He said again, as he slid the ring into his belt pouch. He then attempted to put his father, back to how he originally found him.

When they finished replacing the coffin lid, a low rumble shook the crypts.

"Let's get outta here," Alkanos said.

"Couldn't agree more," Cordelia said, going to pick up the torch from the bracket.

Alkanos headed for the tomb entrance.

A stronger tremor hit, causing him to freeze.

***

Cordelia forgot about the torch. She saw the cracks forming quickly in the ceiling.

Rocks fell from the ceiling.

Too far to run for it. Cordelia thought, as larger rocks fell. The floor pitched under her feet.

Alkanos was still frozen at the entrance.

"Alkanos!" Cordelia cried, bolting towards him, just as a large rock fell.

Without thinking, she threw herself between him and the rock.

She yelled his name, shoving him out of the way.

The floor shook again, knocking her down.

Cordelia felt pain.

She screamed.

She heard a SNAP!

***

When the shaking stopped, Alkanos got off the floor. He coughed from the settling dust.

In the flickering light of the dying torch, he saw Cordelia. She lay on the floor prone, her foot caught under a fallen rock.

"Cordelia?" He said.

Cordelia cried out in pain, she bit back a swear. " I'm here."

"Are you hurt?" He asked, going to her.

"My ankle. It hurts!"

Alkanos examined her foot and the surrounding rocks. Even with his night vision, he couldn't see an opening of any sort.