Chapter 10

AN: Fair warning there's a bit of violence in this chapter.

GREY’S POV

“Brother, we found him.”

Jasper spoke as he entered through the door of my guest chambers.

“Michael.” He mind links the answer to a question my eyes convey.

“Where is he now.”

I took a deep breathe to horn in Mason as he clawed for dominance, seeking blood for what had been done to his mate…our mate. The moment I over heard my mate telling her mother what had occurred the night before, mason had been fighting for dominance threatening to spill the blood of anyone who so much as looked at our mate that night. Trying to reign him in was like tying to tame a deranged beast.

“Cole was generous enough to allow us to take him to his dungeons. Aiden is with him now.”

“Let Aiden know I will be coming to deal with the bastard that dared drug up my mate. He must pay for his actions. Everyone here will come to know what happens when one messed with the Alpha of Lycan Blood. If this crime goes unpunished, it could get out of hand at a later stage. Let Cole know there will be a trial tomorrow.”

“Brother, is this really necessary? Shouldn’t we rather deal with this at home.”

My head snaps back at my brother, whose words were like fuel to a great fire burning within the depths of me.

“How would you feel if it had been Jasmine who’d almost been raped. Would you still think that monster is deserving of mercy?” I spit out the words like venom.

“That’s not what I meant…” He murmurs, head hung low in shame.

“I thought so. The way I see it, this will be a mercy kill. Were I not pressed for time, I would savour every minute of his sweet torture until he begged for a swift death. Even then I wouldn’t grant him that wish, that would be too kind. Vile men like him, who take advantage of unsuspecting women deserve far worse. I would peel off every shred of flesh from his broken bones in front of this entire pack so that no one ever dares to even think of taking advantage of a woman. What remains of him, would be fed to the rogues.”

The mere thought of another man so much as looking at her with evil intent rises a blood lust in me that I haven’t felt in a while.

“As you wish Brother.”

I finally let mason come to the forefront as we leave for the dungeons, revenge in his sights.

XANDER’S POV

Word had got out in the midst of the night that the predator that attempted to take advantage of a young female wolf of the Crescent Pack had been caught and would face trial at the break of dawn the next day. I had known as soon as I heard the news who the victim of the attempted crime was though little detail was disclosed on that front. All guests were forbidden to leave before said trial concluded and every werewolf that had phased was expected to be in attendance with the exception of all She-wolfs below the age of 21.

My own desire for vengeance burns in anticipation of the punishment the sick bastard that had attempted to hurt my best friend would be afforded as I make my way towards the area designated for pack trials. Kenopsia clings to the air as most of the pack sit gathered at the field usually secluded for pack mass meetings. The sight before me is enough to sends a chill down any onlookers’ spine. The Beta of the Blood Moon pack kneels chained with sliver, bloodied and bruised on the makeshift stage. A few feet from him sits the Alpha and Beta of the Lycan Blood pack, Alpha Cole and the Alpha of the Blood Moon pack, each with a blank expression on their stoic faces.

“Members of the Crescent Pack and our honoured guests. We are gathered here for the trial of Michael Rostov, Beta of the Blood Moon pack. Michael Rostov you have been found guilty of attempting to bring harm to your own kind beyond the borders of your pack territory. Sexual assault is a serious crime amongst our kind, a crime befitting equally grave punishment. What do you have to say for yourself?”

A pregnant silence hangs in the air, the atmosphere so tense you could literally slice through the tension with a dagger. Michael kneels unmoving, his head bowed down in shame. He was defeated, barely breathing, a man whose will has clearly been broken. Angry chatter erupts through the crowd as their patience wears thin.

“Kill him.” A woman shouts out in the crowd, cutting through the angry chatter.

“A swift death would be merciful. This monster deserves far worse.” Another shouts.

“Silence.” Alpha Cole commands.

“By order of the members of the werewolf council, Michael Rostov will be stripped of his role as Beta of the Blood Moon pack and castrated in front of the masses. Let this be an example to all, we do not tolerate any form of violence against women and children among our kind.”

Michael pleads mercy as one of the warriors from our pack moves forth with a machete. With his back turned towards the crowd, he is dethroned. Clapping and chants fill the air as the punishment ensues. All the while the Alpha of the Lycan Blood pack sits, unflinching as the haunting screams of the predator who dared harm his mate cut through the silence.

“Burn him.” He finally speaks when the noise dies down.

The look of horror and disbelief on the faces of Alpha Cole and Alpha Alexia visibly evident. They clearly hadn’t expected for things to take this turn. Jasper, Grey’s second hand, pours what appears to be an accelerant atop the head of a terrified Michael before swiftly setting him on fire right before the eyes of a stunned crowd.  His blood curling screams filled the silence but unlike before, no one dared chant or speak a word. We all watched on in horror as he burned to his death.

“Was that really necessary?” Alexia spoke, hot on Grey’s tail.

“You dare question me?” Grey booms, his powerful voice resonating through the crowd.

In a split second, his claws elongated and slashed through the throat of the Russian Alpha, his dislocated head falling to the ground beneath his body which followed suite. Had I blinked, I would have missed it. Gasps resonated through the crowd as most tried to swipe themselves clean off the spluttered blood. The Alphas in attendance all looked like they had just seen a ghost. What was hard stoic blank expressions were now replaced with pure terror.

Everyone held their breath as Alpha Grey walked his way down the assembled crowd, his brother Jasper following at a safe distance. He wasn’t called the King of terror without reason. One thing was certain, no one here would live down what they just saw any time soon. I couldn’t decide which death was more gruesome as my stomach churned in distaste. I took as my que to leave.

If one thing was made clear, if word every got out that I had orchestrated his mate’s escape, I would meet a far worse end. If he could do that to someone who merely attempted to harm his mate, there’s no telling what he will do to someone who actually dared snatch his mate from his grasp. Let’s hope we never get to find out.

The things we do in the name of love are often the root of our demise.