Chapter 28

JASON'S POV

I felt it as it happened. It was like nothing I'd ever experienced before. The surge of indescribable energy that radiated through the walls broke me from my sleep. Somehow my body knew before my mind could register where I needed to be.

As the thunder rumbles furiously – the promise of a storm in the horizon, my feet take on a life of their own, leading me to her beckoning. The strange pull, the feeling of her inside my every cell is unlike anything I've ever felt. Though I knew we had a magnetic connection, I never imagined it being this strong. This is unheard of, a bond like this is only ever fostered between mates, at the gracious hand of the moon goddess. Albeit peculiar, I do not fight it – I give in willingly.

The stench of blood invades my nostrils as I drew near her bed chambers, with it I feel my heart drown at the pit of my stomach. A chilling fear of what's to come engulfs me as I draw closer to my destination, mounting with every step I take.

Eliot's limp body, fallen from impact against the wall shoots panic down my spine. What force was here that could get past the pack territory, far down the Alpha's estate to his chambers, taking down whatever stood in its way?

I will myself to push past the paralyzing fear, the thought of her at the mercy of whatever lay wait on the other end of the door giving me strength. Drawing a deep breath, I say a quick silent prayer to the goddess for protection and courage before my shaky hand pries the door open.

The sight behold. Suspended in the air, her sleeping form I find, seemingly unharmed. Standing, dumbfounded by the sight before you, I stare perplexed at her floating form surrounded by a blue reflective light. The sight unlike anything I would have thought possible, a defiance of nature.

What witchery is this?

How do I proceed when I cannot even see the threat we face? One step closer could send her to her death. I could never forgive myself for that. Greyson would never forgive me for failing to protect the Luna.

"Whoever you may be, I beg of you, let her go."

Nothing

"Bly. It's me...Jason. Please wake up, come back to me."

Still, nothing.

"I won't let you fall." I won't.

And so, I do the only thing I can think of to save her from force has her captive.

Dorian whimpers from the impact of our form smashing against the wall. Transforming mid-air, Dorian had knocked Bly from whatever field held her suspended in the air, blanketing her in his limbs as the force flung us across the room. For a moment I cannot shift back into human form, the field's electric current still surging through us. Only then do I think to send out a distress signal to Jasper.

We lay unmoving, our Luna comatose in our arms.

Something sinister was at play, I could still feel its' dark aura clinging to the air albeit its presence seemed to have faded

What did they want with Bly? I wondered. What would have happened had I not gotten here in time? I will away the unsettling thought, glad I had gotten here when I did.

In the wreckage of forces unknown secrets untold would be revealed and with it would come even more unsettling discoveries.

***

It has been hours, and still nothing.

I couldn't bring myself to leave her side, hopeful with each second that ticked by that she will awaken. She lays peacefully, caramel skin pale and soft cheeks devoid of colour. Even so, sleep does nothing to taint her ravishing features, for even in sopor she is still a sleeping beauty.

Though her body is still, the turmoil I feel as I hold her hand told me her mind was all but still. Something is going on in that pretty little head, I could feel it albeit I couldn't quite explain it, where it not for the carnage even I would begin to believe that I was losing my sanity.

No one truly understood what happened, not even I who'd seen it with my eyes could bring myself to believe that this wasn't but a terrible nightmare I couldn't awaken from. Where it not for the wreckage and Eliot, no one would believe we were invaded. This force was an enemy unseen, which made it far more lethal than anything we've ever dealt with. How does one begin to fight something they cannot see?

Eliot, though promising was still under Dr Wade's watchful eye – a few broken bones and a slight concussion, nothing a few days bed rest and wolf healing couldn't fix. Though I endured injuries of my own, my healing was swift, only a few bones were yet to fully heal.

***

"You should get some rest." I hear Jasper's voice beside me when I begin to doze off. My hand clutching onto hers still.

"I can't leave her. I have to be here when she wakes up. That's the least I can do after failing to protect her." The guilt is consuming, her pain all the more damning.

"Jace, what happened to her isn't your fault."

"I know that, I just ..." Though I know Jasper is right, I cannot help the guilt I feel.

"Get some sleep brother. She won't be alone. I will be here and Greyson should be here soon." Speak of the devil and he shall appear.

Greyson walks in, rushing towards her side. I cannot help but think that he should have been here, with her. Maybe none of this would have happened.

"How is she?" My stomach churns at his concern for her, the sight of him repulsing.

"No signs of improvement yet." Jasper responds, his tone sad and apologetic.

"What exactly happened here? How did someone get past our impenetrable boarders without detection?"

"We were attacked, by something we've never encountered before, an invisible threat."

"How could you all let this happen to her?" Greyson seethes, his eyes flickering,

"Let this happen? Are you honestly going to put the blame on anyone but yourself? You are the one who left her here distressed and vulnerable. The better question is where have you been brother?" I seethe, unable to contain my mounting rage.

"I needed time to think...to cool off."

"Well, while you were gone...cooling off, your mate was here alone, suffering in silence. Now we find ourselves here."

"Watch yourself brother." He warns, his wolf on the brink of unleashing. I don't back down, Dorian and I equally enraged.

"How about you try watching out for your mate instead?"

"What's your fucking problem?" He stands, coming

"You are." I spit. "How could you? She doesn't deserve this."

"How could I?" He stands in front of me, fists clenched.

"Don't take me for a fool brother, her stench still clings to you?" Disgust seeps through my sour tongue.

"I've just about heard enough of your accusations. I suggest you leave now before I paint these walls with your blood." I scoff, unshaken by his empty threat.

"Your threats do not move me." Greyson isn't a man who wastes time making threats, he reacts with no inhibition, it must be the guilt, for we both knew there was truth to my words.

"OK ENOUGH. Both of you." Jasper roars, coming between us. "This is not the time for this. For all we know she can here the both of you. Compose yourselves."

"Get him out of my sight." His growl rumbles through the room.

"Jason, get some rest. Please." Jasper's eyes are pleading. I sigh, turning to make my leave.

I knew I would be fighting a loosing battle if I insisted on staying. I couldn't stand the sight of Greyson at the moment but I also didn't want to leave Bly's side. No way Greyson would allow me to stay, not after I'd confronted him of his betrayal.

Jasper follows behind me as I leave.

***