By break time, we already had three assignments for the day: Geography, Chemistry and  English .

God help me

"I feel like dying" Jemima announced as we went for break
"I second that" I concurred with her.

When we got to the canteen, I bought food instead of our usual snacks. Felicia stood not buying anything and Jemima teased her

"Felicia, this one  you're not buying anything, do you want to loose the small weight you've added?"
Felicia had been sick few weeks back and had looked so thin.  Now she recovered and was looking flashier than ever. Felicia who prided herself on being the model of our group.  Slim, dark, baby face.

She smiled a small smile that didn't reach her eyes and Jemima gave me a look. Felicia was just getting worse. I thought opening up to me would cheer her up a little and it did but after few days she sank even deeper into her world.

We went to sit and Jemima wrapped her hands round Felicia "Fefe, what is it? For how long now you've not been yourself. You know you can talk to us. And if it's your mum, she'll get better. Shey you know "

Felicia nodded and smiled
"Thank you "

We finished our meals and went back to our class and Bimpe joined us when she came from the hostel.

The rest of the day passed and I was extremely tired and with a bad headache.  As we went home, I kept thinking of the many assignments I had to do and all of them were bulky.

Grandma Dafe had gone back to her house but I wished she was still around. She would have prepared some food for me to eat when I come from school.

I miss that woman. Oh!  How she spoiled me

I met Aunty Ebere and Aunty Chika in the parlour when I got back and I greeted them. Luckily for me, they let me go without any drama but thirty minutes later, during the time I wanted for a quick nap ,  Aunty Ebere began  screaming my name like the mad dog she was.

I hit my fist on the bed countless times before going to answer her. I hoped she had a good reason for disturbing me.

"What are you doing that you can't answer me on time?"

I was praying for you to leave. Nonsense

"I was sleeping ma "

She looked at me with scrutiny before speaking
"Anyway, I need you to go to that junction side, buy small vegetable, ugwu, hundred naira, nchawu, fifty naira and small Titus fish so that you can come and prepare rice and vegetable sauce for Sister Chika and I to eat "

Oghene!
She said what?!

"Ma, I should......"

"You heard me. Be fast " Aunty Ebere shouted

Ehn! How?  When?
I'm dog tired, I have a terrible headache and so many assignments and this woman wants me to prepare rice and vegetable for her.

Is it that they were not hungry until I came back or what?"

"Aunty, please I'm. ......"

I didn't get to finish before Aunty Chika shouted from where she sat,  interrupting me

"Jasmine , you are what? So you have now grown wings big enough that you can argue with your elder. Have you forgotten what the bible says about disobedience? "

No, no  no
Aunty Chika not now. Biko

"The Bible says take hold of instruction,  let her not go. Keep her for she is your life. Ebere just gave you an instruction, take hold of it. It is your life"