I Can Go the Distance

The protective charms fell down, and I basked in the glow of my name as the good people rushed forwards to just touch their savior. I hugged and shook hands, and even said hello to many people I didn't know. I was loving every minute of it.

The crowd then picked me up, and I was bodysurfing. This is where I'm meant to be, I thought happily. I've found where I was meant to be. I remembered this Disney movie that Ky had taken me to see over the summer, and this song that reminded me of myself so much, and what I felt.

I found my way, I have gone the distance, I thought triumphantly. Somehow I was strong. Every mile was worth my while. I had found everything that I'd ever wanted that day. Respect, fame, glory, and how everyone seemed to love me. I saved all these people. I love them all, and I'd do it again. My heart glowed with warmth.

Finally, they set me down next to Wesley, who hugged me, but he already looked like he was fading. Ky was standing beside me, his arm around my waist possessively.

"I'm glad you've found someone else," Wesley said with a sad smile. "You seem I wasn't made to last."

I reached out to touch him. He was already not-solid again.

"Wesley," I said sadly.

"I'll be fine," he said. "Being dead has it's perks, Ali. You have access to all this knowledge, and the future." He became serious. "I need to warn you both about what's to come. Due to stupid laws of prophecy, I can't tell you everything, especially since it's not all clear to me, but Tom Riddle messed with some pretty serious laws of magic. That's going to have major repercussions, and you're going to be around to see it. Be careful. Things are about to get ugly."

Ky and I nodded.

"And Ky?"

He looked at Wesley intently. "Yes?"

"Take care of Alice for me, will you?" Wesley asked. "Make sure she's happy, okay?"

"Of course I will," Ky promised. "She's my princess."

"Make sure to treat her like a Queen," Wesley warned. "Or I will hunt you down and haunt you for the rest of your life."

Ky and I both burst out laughing. "Ah, I hope you find happiness with some angel girl," I said.

"Will do," Wesley said with a wink. "I'm going to go now, but I know two spirits who want to see you." With that, he closed his eyes and faded completely.

In his place appeared Auntie Tonks and Uncle Remus.

"Hello," I said softly.

"We're so proud of you, Alice," Auntie Tonks and Uncle Remus said softly. "You defeated him. You've gone through so much, and you've gone so far."

I smiled. "I'm sorry that you're gone," I said.

"Me too," Uncle Remus said. "But we died fighting for liberty for our son, so he can grow up in a better world."

"Take care of Teddy for us, will you?" Auntie Tonks asked.

"I will," I promised.

"Good," Auntie Tonks smiled. "And Ky?"

He perked his head up. "Yes, madam?"

"You're a good match for Alice," Auntie Tonks said.

"Yeah, take care of her though," Uncle Remus said. "Or I'll be forced to kick your arse."

"I'll make sure to," Ky promised, holding me close. "Someone's got to make sure she doesn't get herself killed."

"Too true," Uncle Remus mused. I snorted. "I just wish I'd gotten to know you better, Ky."