Miracle Dates and Dresses

"Potter! Sit up straight!" Professor McCat called out. I groaned, and did so. "Now that everyone is paying attention, we are having a Yule Ball on Christmas Day. Fourth-years and older are allowed at the ball, although you may bring a younger guest, if you wish.

"The Yule Ball Champions are required to bring a partner, and will open the ceremony," McCat also said, looking at me pointedly. I looked back rather pointedly. I inwardly groaned again, though. I hadn't ever gotten my dress robes, because it was so much more of a priority for Harry to have them.

Afterwards, I stumbled out of Transfiguration, when Hayden and Wesley joined up with me.

"What are you guys going to do at the Ball?" I asked.

"I'm going single, since I can," Hayden said, bouncing on the balls of her feet. "I don't need a guy or a girl to have fun."

"Who are you going with, Wesley?" I asked.

He took a deep breath. "I was wondering if you would..."

I turned a bit pink. I don't blush. Not happening. I gestured all around. "Nobody else is exactly asking, so why not?"

Wesley brightened. "Thank you so much, you won't regret it, I promise!" He then ran off to a flock of Hufflepuff friends.

"What was that part about?" I asked.

Hayden grinned mischievously. "I forgot, you haven't hung around with us long," she said, elbowing me playfully. "You don't have the experience to see the look he has on his face when you're around."

I was fighting a blush back. "Yes, I've noticed that a little bit."

"He's got strong feelings for you, Allie." Hayden's face softened. "And you have them too, though you hide them pretty well."

Nope, not happening. "It's a Slytherin thing," I said coolly.

"Sorry if I offended you," Hayden muttered.

I rolled my eyes. "Trust me, you're not one to offend."

Unfortunately, that cued one who did offend me, frequently enough. Mum came towards me, hurrying through reverse traffic, yet being a teacher, she parted the halls like the Red Sea.

"Ugh, duty calls," I said to Hayden, before approaching her. "What is it, Mum?"

She blinked for a couple seconds. "I know you don't have dress robes, so I wanted to take you shopping," she said finally, looking slightly hurt.

I blinked, caught off guard. Mum actually wants to spend time with me?

"Um, sure. When?" I asked.

"After school today," Mum said in a cool voice, that was still warmer than I'd heard in a long time.

"I'll see you then, Mum," I said in an oddly high-pitched voice.

I met Mum by the school doors. They were letting everyone out to Hogsmeade, since hadn't gotten dress robes, or wanted new jewelry or something for the Yule Ball. I mostly just wanted a dress, that was it. But I was in for a surprise.

"Have you thought about how you want to wear your hair; your jewelry?" Mum asked as we started towards Madam Daria's Dress Directory.

"I was just going to wear the dress with the black flats," I said, slightly overwhelmed by the idea of all the fuss.

"Alice! You can't just get in a dress, it's not full proper dress!" Mum protested. "This is your first dance, we have to make you look pretty! Hair done up, lots of jewelry, and definitely heels."

I ignored the comment on my beauty. "Why is all of this necessary?" I asked.

"You're my only daughter, Alice," Mum said softly.

"This is because of gender roles?" I demanded.

"Normally, I don't encourage them, but I'm sure the press would like-"

"Let's just get this over with," I interrupted sullenly.

Mum clucked her tongue, and went with me into the dress shop. She began looking at the dresses, and at me. "I think green would work best for you, since it matches your eyes," she said.

Her eyes, I thought, and I rolled my eyes. I think I tried every green dress in that store. Pine green, emerald green, peridot, and mint. I about wanted to throw up on the green. Until I saw one in the resale rack, the cheap ones. It was a lavender lace number, with what looked like a collar, like some queen's. I took it off the rack, and slipped into the dressing room, and threw it on.

It was like the miracle dress- I knew it was the one as soon as I glanced in the mirror. It fit perfectly in all the right places, and the shade complimented my hair quite nicely, something the greens just hadn't done. The collar pulled off my rather regal appearance, and I loved the ruffled skirt, how it hovered a centimeter above the floor.

I pranced out into the area where Mum was waiting to see the dress. She dropped the pile of black, red, and pink she was going to try next.

"Where did you get that one, Alice? I never saw that one," said Mum.

"I found it on the resale rack," I said, flaunting the skirt.

"Well, it does look nice, Mum said. "Although I think the hair needs to be tied up; it's rather distracting, and takes away from the collar. Not as much jewelry is needed, but hand bangles and rings and fake earrings are in order."

"Wait- fake earrings?" I asked, no longer in delight.

"Of course, you need to look like a lady, Alice," Mum said, in oblivious satisfaction, like I was a tricky potion that finally brewed right. I stifled a groan, and changed into my regular clothing again, taking the magic dress with me. We paid for it, and then we began looking for hand bangles. She managed to decide on one, one of those bracelets attached to rings I'd have to slip on my finger. She then got false amethyst teardrops for my false earrings, and decided she had the rest, except for the pumps.

"Who's the boy?" Mum asked, once she took me into her and Dad's adjoined offices.

"Why do you immediately assume-"

"You have to have one, Alice. Please tell me that Malfoy boy isn't your date-"

"He didn't ask me," I said smugly. "Never got the chance. One boy beat him to the punch."

"Alice, you're making me nervous," she said.

"It's Wesley Diggory, Cedric's little brother," I finally relented.

Mum's face softened. "I didn't know that you were friends."

"We are, now," I said with a slight smile.

"Well, I'm glad you found a respectable date, though it might have been better if a Beauxbatons boy was chosen, to show that you're mingling with other, respectable schools," Mum said.

"Mum, my choices aren't about good or bad PR- for me, it's about what I want," I said softly. "Well, thanks anyway." I then walked out.