Trust

The guards escorted me out through a series of gardens in the courtyard of the manor into a second building on the right, and up two flights of stairs. Emrys was following behind closely, although I didn't wonder why for long.

At the top was a hallway, with several rooms, most noticeably being a large library, and two large bedroom suites, probably with the bathrooms being built in, seeing as I didn't see one in the end of the hallway. There were a few more, as I stated before, and if I had to guess, although I hadn't peeked inside, that they were leisure rooms. The guards that escorted me in pushed me into the hallway, and let Emrys in. He stormed ahead of me, and slammed the door of what I assumed were his quarters.

I cautiously entered my own quarters, and was pleasantly surprised at what I'd found. The walls were papered a mint green in a Victorian style, and there was a large bed with detailed ironwork that had comfortable-looking sheets that were a dainty blue upon it with matching blue and silvery pillows. A chandelier with diamonds dangled from the ceiling. The woods were a pale hardwood job.

On the wall where the door was, there was a large writing desk with parchment and quills, and a small trash bin. On the wall next to it was the door to the bathroom. Then it was back to the wall with the bed, where there were two large, pristine windows. On the last wall that connected back to the wall with the door, there was a large wardrobe and a bookcase with a blue love seat.

I entered the bathroom, where there were dove-colored marble floors, and pristine walls. A full-length mirror and large vanity were there, as well as a toilet, obviously, and a bathtub with a diamond tap and clawed golden feet, and a springy green bathmat, and towels with the Malfoy crest on them waiting for me.

I went over to the wardrobe, and flung the doors to it open, and examined the clothing inside. There were black robes, but also combat boots, socks, and black cargo pants with black V-necks of varying sleeve lengths. I chose a sleevless V-neck and some cargo pants, and locked the door to the bathroom, and filled up the tub.

I soaked in hot water, and felt my muscles slowly unwinding, and let my guard down for the first time in forever. Or, really, since the afternoon before the third task. How long ago it seemed.

Afterwards, I ran a comb through my tangled purple hair. It was a challenged I relished, and I went into it rather eagerly, and came out of it with my scalp stinging from the pain of yanking and mangling through the snarls.

I threw my clothes and boots on, and went into the library on the hallway. It had tall shelves reaching to the ceiling with books, and a few window-seats, looking out of the manor and the tall iron gates surrounding it.

I walked over to the window-seat with an open window, and crouched onto the crimson cushion, and stretched my hand out to see if maybe this was a possible escape.

"I wouldn't do that if I were you."

I sat down, knees to my chest, and retracted my hand slowly, and instead hugged my knees. I looked over to see Ky Emrys in the doorway.

You're dead, so dead, so extremely very dead! I couldn't believe my lack of luck. How was it that the second I tested the boundaries, someone was there to catch me doing it? And not just anybody- Voldemort's other personal apprentice.

I knew I also looked like a little girl right now, not like some fearless warrior, but with what I was pretty sure was supposed to be form-fitting clothing, that was hanging off of my tiny frame. Maybe innocence is worth going for.

I didn't take my eyes off of Emrys as he walked over and joined me on the window seat, much to my dismay. Older guys made my skin crawl. Just something about them. I don't know what.

"There's an Imperturbable Charm on it," he continued, oblivious to my racing thoughts. "Found out on my first day, and got thrown on my back. The guards came rushing, because the way I was crying about it, someone had gotten in the manor and had attacked me."

I nodded coldly, and looked out the window. I wasn't giving anything away, anything that could be used against me. The endgame here is to survive to escape. The longer I stay, the more I'm trusted, the easier it gets. Plus, I might be more powerful by that time, if I am Voldemort's apprentice.

"Hey, come on," Ky said looking around nervously. "It's not like I bite or anything."

I eyed him from the side, but said nothing. Don't let him any closer. Don't trust him as far as he can throw you. No matter what he tells you, he must have some agenda.

"I won't hurt you," he continued, trying to make eye contact.

"Cut the crap," I snapped. "I know just as well as you that you have your own agenda, and 'not hurting me' is not a part of it, not even in your wildest dreams."

He blinked, looking somehow stunned by what I'd said. "I-I just thought that since we'd be training together that we might as well be friends."

"Haven't you heard? There is no such thing as friends on the dark side," I said with a bitter laugh.

"You stop with the act," he said, in a much more commanding tone of voice, and he placed a hand over mine over my knees. "You think I really hate you, after that little display in the living room?"

I looked up, but mostly glared back a fairly straightforward yes. Plus, I wanted his hand off of mine. It made me feel uneasy.

"Because I don't," he replied to my burning silence. "That was all an act back there, and I know you were acting back there and right now. You don't need to do that up here. This is where we can be ourselves."

"Keep your delusions to yourself," I said, as I got to my feet. "Excuse me if I seem cold, but I don't trust you, Emrys." With that, I left the room, feeling anger fueling up inside me, and I slammed the door to my quarters shut and locked it.

How dare that jerk act like that now? He's such a filthy hypocrite- My eyes widened. What am I thinking? This isn't right?

Embrace your feelings, a little voice said inside my head, as I slid down the wall, until I was sitting on the floor in that little ball.

No, this isn't right, a panicky part of my brain shrieked. This anger...isn't mine?

The voice from before retreated, and I considered what I'd felt. New plan- escape as soon as I know I can. Something's going on around here. Something here's making me feel a certain way- I can sense it.

I crawled onto the bed, and kicked off my boots, and lay there, plotting until I fell asleep.