Battle of the Seven Potters

Summer was all anticipation and preparation. The Ministry of Magic was due to fall soon. I'd briefly gotten to leave the country.

"I know it's a bit early," Auntie Tonks had said. "But I want you to have a birthday gift from me and Remus, so we're taking you to Lilith Fair! It's this event that female artists are holding in Atlanta!"

I had hugged her. "Thank you so much!"

We had a good time, even Uncle Remus. We got t-shirts, and checked out museums and stuff with female artists and such. It was great, pretending to be a punk muggle family rather than a wizarding one about to enter a war to save everyone.

Then came the arrangements. Mum and Dad were to stay with relations I'd only heard of, Mum's sister, Aunt Petunia, the one I was named after, and her husband and son.

I was alright with that. Harry was to go to the Burrow to stay safe until the Trace would break, and the Ministry could no longer trace his magical usage. As for me, I'd be staying with Auntie Tonks and Uncle Remus and Grandromeda, as I'd called her, and Gran-Ted. They were like the grandparents I'd never had, and they couldn't wait to have me.

We waited in Godric's Hollow for the plan to begin. I'd packed up my clothes, most of which I'd transfigured to be a bit different so that no one at Hogwarts would recognize me because of the clothes. It was simple, militaristic, really. Plain white and black t-shirts and sleeveless shirts, jean vests and olive-green pocket-filled jackets with tan cargo pants and camouflage pants, and an olive green cap, as well as black armbands that served as wand holsters and black gloves.

"Strange, knowing that we'll never come back," Harry said, standing next to me. I looked at him.

"I'll feel free, knowing that I won't ever have to live here again," I replied, relishing the look he was giving me.

"Were you really that unhappy?" He asked.

I laughed bitterly. "That's the first time in seventeen years that you've asked me about my feelings."

"Whoa." His eyes widened. "Alice, I'm so-"

"Save it." I held a hand up towards him. "I don't want to hear what you have to say. You're going to go on about how sorry you are, but you aren't really."

"Alice, I-" Harry was interrupted by the people coming in- Mad-Eye Moody, Auntie Tonks, Uncle Remus, Bill Weasley, Blondie, Hermia, Weasel King, Pucks #1 and 2, Kingsley, and Mr. Weasley came in.

"There's been a change in plan," Mad-Eye announced. "Alice, are you ready?"

I nodded, and yanked some hair out of Harry's, something I did with relish- I'd been waiting to do something like that for a long time.

"Here you go," I said, and Mad-Eye dropped in the hairs, and a bubbling Polyjuice Potion turned to a glimmering gold.

"Wait, what are you doing?" Harry cried.

"Polyjuice," Mad-Eye explained if it wasn't obvious already. "We're sending out decoys. You'll be going with Hagrid, and we're all meeting up at the Burrow." Damn it, I thought angrily. Sorry, Grandromeda, Gran-Ted.

"Alice, you'll be coming with me," he said. I nodded, and took the first sip. It actually tasted alright, much to my surprise. Like pumpkin juice. I began morphing into Harry, as the bottle got passed around. Soon there were seven Potters.

"As I said, Alice will be with me on broom, Ronald will be with Tonks on broom as well. Arthur and Fred will be on broom, and Remus will be with George on broomstick as well. Hermione and Kingsley will be on thestral as well as Bill and Fleur. Then you, Harry, will be with Hagrid", Mad-Eye explained as he brought around a bag of clothes like Harry's.

I only changed out of what was needed, and kept the bra on underneath, because it sure was going to hurt as soon as I transformed back when the hour was over. I took my trunk, and attached it the end of the broomstick, as well as the cage with a stuffed snowy owl in it.

I looked at Mad-Eye, wand ready as I placed the glasses on. "I know why you want me with you," I said quietly. "We're going to get attacked the most. I'm not afraid."

"Good," he barked. "I knew there was a reason that I picked you."

I nodded evenly as I got on my broomstick. We were just waiting for a signal.

"Go!" Mad- Eye barked, and we took off to the sky. I hadn't been on a broom past Flying class, since my parents hadn't thought it worth their efforts to get me a broomstick, but much like Harry, I had my father's talent in my blood. Flying was a strange thrill to me, honestly, but I preferred being underwater, like any decent Slytherin did.

I clung to it, wand in my pocket, when Mad-Eye yelled, "INCOMING!"

I looked up, and cursed. "Looks like they knew we were moving him early!" I didn't recognize any faces behind the masks, but I knew they knew. I was the one who told Ky to spill this part of the plan. Good thing he keeps doing his job.

I started firing off Stunning Spells, and Voldemort came in. Bill and Fleur were nearby, from what I could see in the harrowing darkness.

"Avada Kedavra!" Voldemort cried, and he instantly hit Moody, who went tumbling into the darkness. I fired back at Voldemort. What did I have left to lose? Until he disappeared, suddenly, in a flurry of darkness. A good flew back to reveal black curls I knew too well, one of two Death Eaters still left on my trail. I gave him a slight nod, and gave one in return, after the moment of hesitation one has after a surprise.

"This one's for taking advantage of my sister!" I yelled, trying to stay in character, and I sent a Stunning Spell, forcing the other Death Eater to catch him and carry him to the ground. Mission accomplished.

I kept flying on to the safe house that I was supposed to go to, the Burrow- Moody had known the original one, so I had a lot more flying to do. I kept checking for anyone who might be flying after me, but I'd lost them, luckily.

My flight was long and lonely. My purple hair flapped behind me in the wind, and I leaned against my broom, letting the adrenaline keep me awake, keep me going.

I finally approached the house at midnight. I felt cold as I went through the magical barrier that only let those on the right side through, and blue rippled through the dome. I tumbled off of my broomstick, and landed in the tall grass.

"What was that?" I heard from the house. I lay there, listening to my heart pound in my ears, too tired to get up. I heard footsteps come my way. I finally found the energy to look up to Auntie Tonks and Hestia Jones coming over to me.

"Oh my God, Alice," Auntie Tonks said, as she hugged me immediately. I looked up at her, barely able to stay awake.

"Mad-Eye's dead," I heard myself murmur.

"We know," she said as she helped me to my feet and Jones went off to retrieve my broomstick and luggage. "Bill and Fleur told us; they'd witnessed the whole thing. You've been flying for four straight hours, poor thing."

"Never again," I muttered.

Auntie Tonks let out an airy, soft laugh. "I'm sorry, sweetheart. Don't worry, you'll be rooming with Ginny and Hermione."

"Oh boy," I muttered, as she helped me to the first landing inside. I went into Ginny's room, and Jones carried my luggage into the room, careful not to wake Hermia and Ginny, and set it down by a cot. I fell onto the bed, and my eyes closed before my head hit the pillow.