The First Task

Dragons surround me everywhere. "Looks like Alice Potter is in a bit of trouble, folks," Ludo Bagman's voice rings out throughout the stadium. All three schools are looking down at me, shrieking with laughter. No one seems the least bit concerned, they are all just laughing, like they think death is funny. Even the emergency wizards aren't bothering to help me.

"Please, leave me alone," I croak at the dragons. Their eyes turn ruby-red, and flames like pixies are floating all around me, covering me in burning pain. I scream, yet everyone seems to laugh harder. Finally, the flames stop, and I fall to the ground, dying amidst lava.

"Help," I rasp, and I look up to see my parents and Harry, wearing angel wings and having triumphant smiles. The flames' and the lava's glows make them look even more angelic, as if light is glowing from beneath their skin, the green and hazel looking like jewels, flickering in candlelight.

"You shouldn't have entered in the Triwizard Tournament," Dumbledore says, coming up in white robes with glittering stars.

"But I didn't!" I shriek.

"Liar. You will finally see punishment for your disobedience, Miss Potter," Dumbledore says, smiling wickedly. They become farther and farther away as the floor sinks, and lava begins to rise. Except for Harry, who is flying tantalizingly in front of me, mocking me.

"Such a spoiled brat! Why couldn't you act more like me?"

"You were always so weak, so powerless."

"You're such a coward! No wonder you weren't in Gryffindor, you disgusting little snake!"

"I HATE YOU!" I finally scream, as lava takes over, and I'm going to fall in-

I sat straight up, panting heavily, sweating pretty badly. My roommates were all glaring at me, annoyed.

"Do you have to scream in your sleep?" Tracey murmured sleepily as she turned and buried her face in her pillow.

"Yeah..." Pansy drawled, before going back to sleep. I checked my alarm clock. It was 4:00 in the morning. Well, I'm never sleeping again after that, so I'm going down to the kitchens.

I threw some robes on over my tank top and flannel sweatpants, and pulled on some slippers with Tinkerbell on the front, and snuck out of the common room with my bag. I made my way up to the kitchens, where the house-elves were already slaving away.

"Miss Alice!" I was immediately hugged by a house-elf in an array of sweaters and hats.

"Dobby!" I cried, recognizing the house-elf from my second-year. "How is it, getting paid and everything?"

Dobby considered the question for a moment. "Dobby thinks he likes it quite well, Miss Alice. He enjoys it, but not as much as the work."

I got on my knees and hugged him. "I'm so happy for you, Dobby."

"What can Dobby get Miss Alice?" Dobby asked once I pulled away.

"Some coffee, please, Dobby," I said.

"Coming right up," Dobby said, and he hurried away. Another elf came up to me.

"Is Miss Alice alright? You is up a bit early, miss," she said quickly.

"I just had a bad nightmare," I reassured her. "Nothing too bad."

The house-elf pursed her lips. "If miss is sure. Lulu just wants miss to be well."

I smiled. "Thanks, Lulu." Dobby came back with my coffee. I thanked him, and started sipping it down. Immediately, I felt awake, I felt alive. I mostly stayed in the kitchens, getting high on sugar- I repeat, sugar, just so I could stay awake. I also chatted with the house-elves, offered assistance, that kind of thing. I like the house-elves- they care about all the students.