Stay the Night

When I awoke, I saw sunlight streaming through the blinds, and the blanket tangled between my legs. Where am I? I wondered sleepily.

"'Morning, princess." I looked over, to see Ky behind the counter, holding up aDaily Prophet, and sipping a mug of coffee. The events of the night before came crashing down onto me. Why do I manage to always look like a fool in front of him? I made a respectable attempt to get to my feet.

"I didn't know V- I mean, the Dark Lord, let his apprentices sleep in," I said somewhat teasingly. "Isn't there a list of muggle-borns to torture at 5:30?"

He regarded me seriously as he took a sip, without saying a word.

"Wait, that's actually true?" My eyes widened. "I thought I was kidding!"

"There isn't," he admitted with a smile.

"What?" I cried. "You totally had me thinking that there actually was a schedule!"

He laughed. "I occasionally enjoy messing with you, Princess."

"More like all the time," I said, rolling my eyes.

"What can I say? It's part of my charm," he joked.

I looked out the window, and the impact of what I'd done had hit me. "Crap, I have to go."

"Just wait a second, please," he protested, and he rummaged around in his pockets, and pulled out a key. "Gemini." A copy came in. "Take one. Use this flat, please. You shouldn't have to go through sleeping in that cupboard again."

I hesitated before taking one. "Thanks again, Ky," I said, finally letting some of my pride go. Most of it was dead, anyway, after that night.

"No problem. Good luck with your lovely relatives," he said, and I saw a bit of nastiness slip through his pleasant demeanor at the word 'relatives'. I Apparated onto Privet Drive at a much quieter noise, and kept the key in my fist.

I knocked on the door, and Uncle Vernon answered it angrily. "You, girl! Ran away from your new home using you-know-what!"

"Magic?" I asked.

He hissed angrily like a cat. "Don't speak of it, you little freak." He dragged me inside and threw me against the wall.

"You're so ungrateful," Uncle Vernon growled, as he pinned me to the wall. "Your parents told me all about you and your wickedness." I yanked out of his grip.

"Call me wicked again, and we're going to have problems," I snarled.

"Mouthy little girl. Back to the cupboard with you, then," he said, with an evil smile. I backed away slowly, emerald eyes wide.

"Please, don't. I'm scared of tight spaces, that's why I ran," I confessed, already panicking at the mere idea. "Please!"

"Suck it up, you sissy!" Uncle Vernon threw me into the room, and locked the door behind me. I sat in the darkness, clenching my fists so tightly that the key had cut my hand.

You're no coward, I reminded myself. You fought for so many mortals in the Battle of London Bridge, and you trained with Voldemort. You've endured the Triwizard Tournament. You fended off Death Eaters by yourself.

Who am I kidding? I started pounding on the door, until Mum let me out. I'd hidden the key in my trunk, and she saw me tumble out.

"Good morning, Alice," she said pleasantly. I blinked at her.

"Mum, please don't let me sleep there again. I'll sleep on the couch, just please, please don't let them make me go in there again," I pleaded. Mum looked at a furious Aunt Petunia.