Chapter 6: A Solution

Words tumbled out of Adira's mouth in a cascade of explanations and truths that she did not have time to edit or phrase in the polite ways she had been schooled to express herself. A part of her knew that she likely sounded stupid, and that it was stupid in itself to be vomiting her life at this boy's feet when he probably felt nothing more than a passing fancy for her.

Still, there was some part of Adira that didn't care if he thought less of her for speaking like this. She would rather had him think ill of her for the truth than leave this place believing that she was the kind of person who would string along someone like him.

As she spoke Xavier's posture stiffened even further to the point that she was worried his frame would crack under the strain of it. She kept speaking though, terrified that if she did not say what she needed to quickly enough that he would change his mind about listening to her and turn away.

Xavier's face remained a tight shield, not letting her know anything about what he was thinking of feeling and then Adira told him about the threat that Gregar had issued while holding her arm and  she watched Xavier's eyes flash with anger on her behalf.

The mask cracked and his arms fell.

"You can't marry him," said Xavier.

"I don't want to," she said looking away. "But I don't think...I don't think I have a choice."

"Surely your parents can be reasoned with," said Xavier stepping forward for the first time.

Adira felt a rush of hope despite the futility of her own situation.

He believed her. That fact alone assuaged her pain.

 Xavier shook his head.

"If not your step-father at least your mother?" the question hung in the air.

My mother...

Adira thought of her beautiful regal mother who adored the high society life.

She wanted to believe that was Xavier had said was true, yet some gnawing part of her told her that her mother had contributed as much into the arrangement as her father.

"I only want what's best for you," her mother had said those words so many times Adira could hear every intonation in her mind as she played them over.

But this isn't best for me, she answered back silently and she looked up at Xavier.

Adira wished he would just wrap his arms around her and hold her. She wouldn't stop him. She didn't care if someone saw. She wanted the comfort she knew it would bring her.

Instead she answered Xavier's question with the answer that stood out.

"She probably sees it as a good match."

Xavier snorted.

"A blind man could see that its a terrible match. He's twice your age and clearly has no respect for you."

"As if I need a reminder of that," she cried out surprising herself by her own outburst.

Xavier looked as if he had been slapped and she immediately regretted having shouted at him when all he was trying to do was fix the shipwreck that was her life.

"I'm sorry," he managed.

"No," she shook her head and reached out to touch his arm her hand falling away at the last moment afraid her touch would be rejected. "I shouldn't have shouted at you."

Xavier's eyes lingered on her hand Adira wondered if it had been wrong of her to reach out.

Xavier moved suddenly forward took her by the shoulders.