Chapter 35: The Tormentor's Return

This story is my escape and personal catharsis. This chapter is intense and LONG. If you start it though I recommend reading through till the end of the chapter in one sitting.

Go back and read the trigger warnings for this story before reading this chapter if you aren't used to my writing or need a refresher of some of the subject matter because this chapter is one of the reasons for the warnings.

-

Thundering hooves of horses caught Imre's attention immediately as he walked behind the other canal slaves.  At first it was only a soft sound, barely declarable above the plodding footsteps and harsh breaths of the Shaynari. As the Tamerian's drew closer the sound and Imre's anxiety both grew.

He had been waiting for the sound, dreading it.

Without looking, Imre knew Verek was back.

And as luck would have it, Verek had returned to seeing him rest he would never hear the end of it. He could already imagine Verek growling in his ear telling him to get back to work.

Imre could feel the moment Verek's eyes tracked on him, feel it in his gut as the hairs on the back of his neck stood to full attention.

The urge to run, as irrational as it  was, locked his legs for a step. He knew that he wouldn't get far, knew that there was no hope of escape and still all he wanted to do was bolt.

His hands itched for the rope, even though his muscles were exhausted at least it would give him something to do with his hands, give him something to focus on other than Verek's growing nearness.

"Tie off!" one of the handlers yelled, signalling the end of the leg of the journey.

Imre had been to preoccupied with Verek's arrival to even notice that they had reached the next canal lock early.

Early meant more time to rest, which was usually a good thing for everyone. the Shaynari would be in a good mood because of the rare time it allowed to talk before sleep and that Tamerian's would likewise enjoy their time.

Not today.

At least not for Imre.

Not with Verek back.

The slave's immediately set to work Tying off and Imre scanned each rope to see if if there was some place he could insert himself to help.

"Not working today eh Imre?" Nicholi poked Imre in the side with the back of the leather handle.

Imre's body jerked in response and he immediately looked to see where the greater danger was.

Verek stood a few meters off talking with the head slave driver.

"He pulled earlier," Heftar answered.

"Didn't ask you. Slave," Nicholi sneered.

Imre shot Heftar a look.

Not now, Imre silently begged. Protecting and standing up for him in front of Nicholi was almost as bad as doing it straight in front of Verek.

"So you did make a friend," Nicholi eyed him sideways.

"Hardly," Imre snorted. "He's the one who got me strung up on the mast."

Nicholi eyed Heftar up and down. Verek's thin framed henchman was small for a Tamerian while Heftar was massive for a Shaynari leaving him a good few inches taller than Verek's assistant.

"So he is," Nicholi squinted. "You can both help set up Verek's tent for the evening then," said Nicholi. "And if you fight it will give good excuse for sport. Specially now that the old sea goat and young bitch aren't here to protect you."