Chapter 14: When Eyes Meet

Beneath the watchful shadow of the seamstress husband Adira felt oddly safe. Though he had been stiff and nervous about protocol initially with her, over the course of their meal together he had softened allowing Adira to see that behind the tall and slightly gruff exterior was a family man who used his strength to protect not bully.

He was what Tamerian's should be.

Xavier is like that, she thought and her heart immediately ached. Fleeing her home meant leaving him behind to.

You don't have a choice, she told herself, thinking of the threats her own stepfather had uttered against Xavier should she choose to pursue a life with him. 

No, she would not condemn him and his family.

She would rather live without love than condemn the one person who had given her a glimpse of it.

"Surprised you're traveling alone miss," said the captain. He left room for her to choose whether or not to answer what was only half a question. Thanks to his calm demeanor Adira had no doubt that he would transport her to Shaynaria regardless of her answer.

The coin purse clutched tightly in her hand was thick and heavy enough that greedy eyes had lingered on it more than once on the short walk from the Seamstress house to the dock. With Mag's husband beside her carrying her small bag, no one had dared approach. 

She was, to the outward eye, a noble woman with her servant, and bad things happened to those who dared claw at their betters in Tameria. 

"Timing did not allow for much preparation," Adira smiled politely. "I am overdue to go to my father down in Shaynaria. The letter requesting my presence was greatly delayed and I am afraid the situation is of great import...at least to us," her head tipped down in the shy manner she had seen so many young women use at court. She had never had much use for the gesture-though her mother had made her practice it over and over.

Clearly the instruction had paid off because all curiosity drained from the captains face and was replaced with a pitying look which made Adira want to squirm. 

Even though everything she had said was true, how she was delivering it was not, and it was a dance around lying that made her skin break out into a prickly sweat. 

The captain gave her a consolatory nod.

"I understand that," he pursed his lips. "Family matters are unapparelled in their ability to throw a wrench in your carriage axel."

"Indeed," agreed the seamstress husband with a mild chuckle, then he turned to Adira. "I best be getting back," he gave a small bow towards Adira and gently lowered her bag of his shoulder and handed it over to the captain who in turn passed it off to one of the crew with quick instructions to take it aboard.

"Thank you," Adira offered Mag's husband an honest smile. He gave her a polite smile back and a small bow. 

As he bowed Adira's eyes caught sight of patrolmen over his shoulder milling about, clearly looking for something...or someone.

Me, they're looking for me. The air seized in Adira's lungs and it took all the force of her will to keep the smile in place as he turned and walked away. 

Don't see me, she quietly begged and turned her back to the patrolmen. No red dress, no fancy jewels, just a girl. An invisible girl. Please don't see me.

A line of Shaynari slaves were boarding the boat, their arms weighed down with heavy shackles. All their faces held this strange lethargy and...desolation to them. Their eyes looked at the boat as something to be feared an avoided, while to her it was a sanctuary she could not wait to board.