Chapter 34: Handmaid

We have a new character this chapter. This one is a bit longer than some. I hope you enjoy. If you do please leave some love.

-

Once Warden Devon Rathor had sent his letter to the king evoking his father's right to approve of a suitor the permanence of his daughter staying at the estate was proclaimed to the masses and a ball in celebration was planned for the one month anniversary of her arrival. With Yeona in charge of decorations and bringing the house to order.

Without her father's chief of staff coming on those daily afternoon walks with her Adira found the grounds suddenly empty. The other house slaves and staff were attentive and polite, and with their politeness kept  their distance.

There was one guard named Damien who went out of his way to say hello each morning, and every time they passed by in the halls, otherwise she was left to herself and when she was by herself thoughts had a way of creeping in.

Despite her father's reassurance Adira was worried what his choice to go against her marriage arrangement would mean.

Lord Warren had threatened to destroy Xavier's entire family if she married him, what would he do to her father for protecting her? Would he see it as a personal slight, and seek vengeance, or would her father's position of power in Shaynari act as some kind of a shield from Lord Warren's wrath?

Day by day, the emptiness grew leaving her alone with thoughts of what could be, and no solace in the peace that was until she woke one morning to see a beautiful young Shaynari slave waiting patiently by her door.

"Oh," Adira rubbed her eyes. "Good morning."

"Morning," the young woman's tone was polite and passive.

She looks like a sun ray,  that was the first thing that Adira noticed about the new Shaynari. Her golden hair was long and braided in the traditional Shaynari manner, yet its colour seemed almost luminous.

Even in the most plane clothes, this woman made Adira feel like a shadow. The gorgeous dresses and jewels her mother had adorned her in could never had bridged the gap between them.

And her eyes...those Shaynari golden eyes were so lovely, they reminded her of Imre's eyes. So warm.

She missed him.

Why did she have to miss someone she barely knew?

Pull yourself together, she ordered herself.  You must look ridiculous just staring at her.

"Who are you?" Adira asked trying to keep her voice pleasant while pushing away the ache in her chest.

"I am your new slave," the beautiful young woman answered.

Adira could hear a hint of bitterness in the Shaynari's voice, though her face betrayed no real emotion.

"I mean what is your name?" Adira amended slipping her feet out from beneath the covers and into the waiting pair of shoes by her bedside.

"Shay."

"Shay" the name rolled over Adira's tongue.

I wonder if she was named after her country, It was a beautiful sentiment and somehow a little sad.

"How did you come to be here?" Adira walked over to the waiting bowl of water and splashed some on her face drying it on the towel beside.

"Your father bought me at the market for the purpose of serving his daughter."

"Is that your sole duty here?" Adira wiped her hands setting the towel aside.

"Yes."

Someone her own age, maybe a few years older, someone to walk with her and be with her. Adira smiled inwardly at her father's thoughtfulness.