Chapter 35: Petunia

| 3rd Person POV |

Over at the Carp Town in Lanling, the Sect leaders, Clan leaders, Young Masters, and a few disciples had a meeting. Lan Wangji returned from Qiongqi Way.

"Guangyao, tell all the Clan Leaders here what Wei Wuxian did." Clan Leader Jin ordered.

"This time in Qiongqi Way, Wei Wuxian, made Wen Ning into a puppet." Jin Guangyao started. "Wen (Y/N) was also found on the scene. Four overseers were killed and about 50 remnants of the Wen Clan fled. Wei Wuxian led them to the Demon-Subdue Palace of Xue Chonghai in Burial Mounds. He set many barriers at the foot of the mountain. Our people can't step into the region."

Jiang Cheng stood up and walked up to the middle. He bowed before starting, "On this matter, his method is no where near proper. I apologize on behalf of him to the Jin Clan of Lanling. If there is any remedy, please tell me and I will try my best to do it."

"Clan Leader Jiang. These overseers were from other clans as well." Clan Leader Jin said. The fellow leaders then added to his comment.

"You may not know this, but the cultivator Wei Wuxian saved is called Wen Ning. He and his sister helped us a lot during the Sunshot Campaign. Their Third Young Master, Wen (Y/N) helped us fight the puppets and indeed killed her own father, Wen Ruohan, ending the Sunshot Campaign."

"They helped you? They're from the Wen Clan who massacred the Jiang Clan." Clan Leader Nie said.

"I know little about Wen Qing and her brother. They came to the lecture in Cloud Recesses before. Their temperament is indeed distinct from others from the Wen Clan. Although I haven't met them again, they have neither killed nor assisted in killing anyone. Wen (Y/N) as well went to the lecture. She is very different from Wen Ruohan and her brothers. She assisted me in escaping the Cloud Recesses when it burned down." Lan Xichen defended.

"They didn't participate, but they didn't stop the Wen Clan either. Wen (Y/N) was Wen Ruohan's daughter, yet she didn't murder her father or her brothers before anything happened." Clan Leader Nie said back.

"Even though Wen (Y/N) was his daughter, she can't possibly kill all of the Wen Clan alone." Jiang Cheng said.

"Since they were silent and didn't try to stop, they can be considered as cold watchers."

Sect Leader Yao then agreed. "Clan Leader Nie is right. None of the Wen Clan are clear of any murders. Maybe we haven't just discovered it yet."

Sect Leader Ouyang then added, "Agreed! These underlings of the Wen Clan aren't allowed to survive. Those helping the Wen Clan will be our enemy." The leaders in the room started agreeing. Jiang Cheng then sat down.

"Clan Leader Jiang, since this is your family affair, I'm not supposed to say this but, Wei Ying is your trusted assistant. He is important to you. We all know that. However, it's hard to say whether he respects you as a Clan Leader. I've never seen a subordinate be so proud and self centered before its master like Wei Ying. Isn't it ridiculous that all your achievements you've received in the Sunshot Campaign were all made by Wei Wuxian?" Clan Leader Jin ridiculed.

The leaders then started talking about the Stygian Tiger Amulet connecting to the Yin Iron.

"This Wei Wuxian, it's okay for him to suspect me of desiring his spiritual tool, but he refused to listen to Clan Leader Jiang's orders and he left irresponsibly after suddenly falling out with us. He even said he would never take Clan Leader Jiang seriously at the hunt and everyone heard it." Clan Leader Jin continued.

"No, I didn't." Lan Wangji spoke up.

"What did you say?"

"I never heard Wei Ying say that nor did I see him disrespecting Clan Leader Jiang."

Everyone remained silent. Jin Guangyao then said, "Really? Wei Wuxian was so aggressive at the hunt, he let so many words fall out, one more shocking than the other. Maybe he said something similar that I just can't recall correctly."

"That's right. He's always arrogant and often says some rampant words." Clan Leader Jin agreed.

"I heard that Second Young Master Lan and Young Master Wei are close friends. If Second Young Master Lan didn't free him on purpose on Qiongqi Way that day, Wei Ying wouldn't have fled so easily." Sect Leader Yao further added.

"I thought Wei Wuxian was problematic before. He never studied decent tricks, only crafty ones and he fiddled with those messy talismans. His brutal nature of killing has been exposed. He indiscriminately killed so many of our men, just for the underlings of the Wen Clan." Jin Zixun said.

"It's not indiscriminately." Mianmian defended.

"What do you mean by saying that, lady." Sect Leader Yao questioned.

"Never mind, I have no other meaning. I just thought the word 'indiscriminately' was inappropriate."

"Why is it inappropriate?" Jin Zixun asked. "Ever since the start of the Sunshot Campaign, Wei Wuxian has been fond of killing randomly. Can you deny that?"

"Sunshot Campaign is a battle. On the battlefield, can we say everyone can be counted as 'killing indiscriminately'? Now let's focus on this specific case. If those overseers who were killed really had abused prisoners and had gotten Wen Ning killed, this can't be called an indiscriminately killing then."

"I disagree. Then should we justify his killing of our people? Should we praise it as chivalry?" Sect Leader Ouyang complained.

The Sect leaders then spoke of the lies the living overseers said to them.

"Those overseers are just afraid to bear the responsibility of killing and abusing prisoners." Mianmian exposed. "Surely they would insist that they are innocent and say that Wen Ning fell off himself." Sect Leader Yao then accused Mianmian of speaking deceitful words because she felt guilty. She then stood up as she was frustrated with their stupidity and asked Sect Leader Yao to explain.

Her fellow disciple then stood up and said, "Sect Leader Yao, don't waste your time on her. How could she even be a member of the Jin Clan. I feel ashamed standing with her."

At this point, Mianmian was done with the audacity they had and let out a quick sigh. "Fine. You all speak loud. You all make sense." She yelled. She then looked at Clan Leader Jin. "Such being the case, I will secede from the clan." She took off the Jin Clan robes and ties. She threw them all on the ground and stormed out the hall. Lan Wangji then left early after she left.

The meeting resumed as Clan Leader Jin further accused Wei Wuxian of planning on making a clan for a long time as he had all the things he needed to make a section and become unrestrained. He then mocked Jiang Cheng through revealing Wei Wuxian's actions and twisting them into different meanings. At last, he finally criticized Jiang Cheng leading methods and said that he wasn't asserting his authority since his commands rendered useless against Wei Wuxian.

Jiang Cheng then stood up from his seat. "Clan Leader Jin, that's enough. I will go to Burial Mounds myself, to end the issue." The meeting soon ended.

That night, Lan Wangji was punished by Lan Qiren at Gusu for letting Wei Wuxian and Wen (Y/N) freely escape Qiongqi Way. Over at Carp Tower, Jin Zixuan asked for Jiang Yanli to stay in Carp Tower with him as he promised to take care of her for the rest of his life.