Chapter 23: Red Tulip

| Wei Wuxian POV |

I blinked my eyes opened. I found myself laying on a bed. The sword was gone. On the side, Wen (Y/N) was wetting a towel. She then turned to me to put the towel on my head, but saw that I was awake. She put the towel down on the side of the bucket of water before looking back at me.

"Hey." She said quietly. I weakly smiled before trying to sit up. "You're weak. Lay down." I laid back down. There was an awkward silence between us. "You lost your golden core." She then said. "How?"

I looked up at the ceiling. "I gave it to Jiang Cheng."

She gripped her hanfu. "Sorry." She paused. "I couldn't save Jiang Cheng from getting his core crushed or your parents from dying..." She drifted off at the last part. "So, why are you here"

"Wen Chao dropped me here to get rid of me." I weakly said and let out a weak laugh.

"Oh." She then said. "You should leave as soon as you recover. Jiang Cheng must be looking for you... ready to lecture you."

"What are you doing here?"

"I came to visit my mother's grave and bury Wen Xu hairpin next to her grave since the Nie Clan chopped him as well as hung his head in front of the gate. Wen Xu wasn't that bad, I guess. He wasn't like that when my mother was around. He's better than Wen Chao and my father." I looked at her in shock. Her father threw her mother in Burial Mounds? "My mother died taking care of me here. I buried her when she died. But that's all in the past." There was a pause. "You know that sword you pulled out?" I nodded. "It's the last shard of the Yin Iron." She then pulled out the middle shard of the Yin Iron. "I'm bringing it back to the Wen Clan... would you like to help me? Don't worry it's not for Wen Ruohan."

"Alright." I said.

She gave me her shard of the Yin Iron. "I don't care what you do with it as long as you don't hurt yourself, just bring it to the Wen Clan when the 4 allied gentry clans attack there. I have no interest in giving it to my father early, personally, and helping him, so say you got it from me, but don't give it to him. It would seal our deal since I did find the Yin Iron for the Wen Clan. Afterall, I am still part of the Wen Clan." She then pulled the hairpins of Jiang Fengmian and Yu Ziyuan from inside her hanfu. She gently placed them on the side table. "That's all I could retrieve from them." She said before standing up and leaving to go outside.

I played around with the two pieces of Yin Iron in silence thinking of what to do with them as I laid on the bed. I got bored and then walked out of bed to the exit. I walked into nowhere as I saw a garden of red spider lilies and white lilies in the distance.

I walked over. Wen (Y/N)'s voice sounded and I quickly hid behind a tree. "Dear mother,..." She started. I looked to see she was sitting in front of a tombstone. Next to it were two other ones in which I assumed was her brother's and someone else. "How are you doing? I'm free from the Nightless City... just like you wanted. I knew you never liked that place because you were haunted by the way he killed someone in front of you, so you pleaded to go somewhere else, but it landed you here. I hope you're in a better place now... with him and Wen Xu. I did as you said to never listen to my father which got me locked up for a few years, but that's alright. However, I'm still unhappy." She paused. "I met someone. He's very charming, funny, and he's just the guy you always wanted me to be with." I felt a tug at my heartstrings. "I swear I'll never leave him, because,... I know you're going to tell me that I'm going to regret it. I won't do anything to make him feel sad or get him harmed." She then let out a small laugh. "It's funny actually, remember how you loved a man who was friends with Wei Changze and you'd always tell me about how Wei Changze had a son who you wanted me to be friends with, but we were stuck here? I actually fell in love with Wei Changze's son." She let a light laugh again. She then paused and looked sentimental. "But, I don't know if he's going to forgive me. I failed to protect our friend's home which was the Cloud Recesses. I failed to protect his adoptive parents and his home. I even failed to stop Wen Zhuliu from taking his brother, Jiang Cheng's golden core and now, Wei Wuxian also lost his golden core." She then started to silently cry. "Mother, I feel useless for never being on time to save anyone."