Chapter 17: Aconite

| Wei Wuxian POV |

Jiang Cheng and I returned back to Lotus Pier. When I woke up, I was sitting against a tree. Jiang Cheng told me Lan Wangji went back to the Cloud Recesses while Wen (Y/N) left before they found us. We watched as the young disciples fired arrows at the kites. I suddenly fainted and was brought to my room where I laid on a bed.

I woke up to see Yanli rewetting a towel. "You're awake." She said. She smiled and then put her hand on my forehead. I then remembered at the cave when Wen (Y/N) put her hand on my forehead after we killed the tortoise.

I came back to my senses as I saw Jiang Cheng walk in. "Shijie, here is the soup you boiled. I'm bringing it over."

I sat up as Yanli then gave me the bowl and opened it. "Lotus root and ribs soup." I said. Yanli nodded and I started eating. "It's good."

Our father then entered. "Wuxian. How are you? Do you feel better?"

I attempted to get out of bed but he told me to sit back down. "Clan Leader Jiang, I feel much better now."

Yanli then left. "Wuxian, you suffered a lot this time."

"Clan Leader Jiang, I'm okay. I was just in that cave for a few days. Jiang Cheng suffered more since he saved me."

"Well done." I then looked at Jiang Cheng.

"Congratulations." He said.

"Congratulations on what?" I said. "It's a pity you weren't there as well. You could take some credit as well. You could've chatted with me and chased the boredom away."

"Wasn't Wen (Y/N) there with you? You couldn't have been bored."

I then smiled. Then our mother entered. "Are you okay with your son being able to be friends with the enemy?" She said as she looked at her husband. "Because of her clan, our own son, Jiang Cheng could've died." Our father stayed silent. She scoffed. "Now that Wei Wuxian is friends with Wen Ruohan's daughter, are you going to ally with them? Don't forget they threatened us. Not only that, Wen Chao wouldn't have dared to do anything to Jiang Cheng if Wei Wuxian stayed out of trouble. Just you wait, he's going to get our clan in some big trouble."

"Enough." Our father shouted. He stood up as  "Let's talk when we get back."

"Talk about what? Get back to where? I'll talk here and now. I have nothing to be ashamed of. Jiang Cheng, come here. Do you see him? He's the next leader of Lotus Pier and you're going to put him in danger for Wei Wuxian? Have you seen how people gossip about how you're not over a certain Sanren after so many years have passed? He regards the son of his dead old friend as his own son."

"Yu Ziyuan!" Our father then roared.

"Jiang Fengmian! Do you think things will change if you raise your voice?" Our mother yelled back. Our father then stormed out the room. "Stop. I'm not done talking." She left after him.

Jiang Cheng then looked back at me before he left. I grabbed my boots and then followed after him. "Jiang Cheng. Jiang Cheng." I caught up to him. "Don't hide things in your heart." I said as I put a hand on his shoulder. "You're Clan Leader Jiang's son, the future leader of the Jiang Clan. Of course he's stricter towards you."

He scoffed. "He's not stricter, he just doesn't like me."

"How can anyone not like their own son?"

"Stop shouting nonsense. He doesn't like my mom, so he doesn't like me either. I know he doesn't like my personality and I'm not the heir he wants. He thinks I don't understand the Jiang Clan's motto and I don't have the spirit of the Jiang Clan in me. I had also been running around exhausted with no rest."