Chapter 15: Gardenia

Start from the beginning

"Stop! Wei Wuxian! Release him!" His wife shouted.

Wen Chao then shouted back, "Don't move. don't move. Listen to Young Master Wei."

Wen Qing spoke up. "Wei Wuxian. Don't act rashly. Everyone put your weapons down." 

As Wen Zhuliu was about to walk forward, I stopped him. "Core-Melting Hand, don't move now! Your young master is at my mercy. If he bleeds even one drop, everyone here including you won't be able to get away with this. Suddenly the rock started moving. A monster head poked from out of the water as the Wen Clan soldiers pulled out their bows and aimed.

Lan Wangji quickly instructed, "Quiet. It's vision is bad. If we don't make a sound, it won't attack us."

The head neared Wen Chao and me. In fear, Wen Chao pulled my hand down and screamed, "Save me, Wen Zhuliu." Imbecile.

I pushed him away from the rock and made him land on the ground. The monster got angry and started attacking the disciples. Sending arrows and throwing swords at it was useless. The Wen Clan were retreating as Wen Zhuliu dragged Wen (Y/N) away. She started cursing out loud. She saw Wang Lingjiao with her hot iron and two soldiers holding Mianmian.

"What do you want?" Mianmian screamed.

I then fired an arrow at Wang Lingjiao before she could do anything. She held her arm before throwing the hot iron at Mianmian. I threw my bow at Wen Chao's wife before running to Mianmian to block the iron from burning her. I was going to be too late. Then a Wen Clan's hanfu threw themselves in front of Mianmian.

"You bitch." They cursed through their breath before falling down and holding onto the wound. Wen Chao's wife then looked and saw Wen (Y/N) bleeding from her mark. Wen Zhuliu looked at Wen (Y/N) with a worried expression.

"W-Wen (Y/N). I-I didn't mean to. I was aiming for her." Wang Lingjiao stuttered as she pointed at Mianmian. "Wen Zhuliu! Why didn't you hold onto her tighter?!"

Wen Chao turned back. "Go save Jiaojiao and (Y/N) right now." He ordered as his men went to retrieve his wife and sister.

Wen Zhuliu went to go save Wen (Y/N), but I stepped in front of her as Mianmian held onto her. "Leave her." I scolded. He didn't step back. "I said leave her!" I raised my voice.

Behind me, she then struggled up and said, "Wen Zhuliu, go escape with Wen Chao and Wen Qing. I swear, I'll come back." Wen Zhuliu didn't speak and ran to escape. She soon fell unconscious from her fragility.

I looked back at Wen (Y/N) before commanding Mianmian to take her to the entrance. "Everyone retreat!" As we headed back to the entrance the rope was cut and the entrance was blocked by boulders.

"How could they?" Jiang Cheng spat.

A disciple then said, "It's okay if we can't get out, my parents will come find me. If they hear about this, they'll come."

Another then added, "How can they find us, they assume we're in Qishan. The Wen Clan is also going to make excuses to cover it up. We're stuck in this cave now. Not only that, Wen (Y/N) is still here. What's Wen Ruohan going to do to us or our clans? Wen Chao going to say we kidnapped her."

Mianmian then cried. "I'm sorry. I got Wen (Y/N) scalded and now, Wen Ruohan is going to kill us for keeping (Y/N)."

"Don't cry," I comforted her.

Lan Wangji then turned back to go to the pond. "Where are you going?" Jiang Cheng asked.

"To the pond, there's a way back." He replied. "Maple leaves." I then stood up. "There must be a hole that connects to the water outside."

"How do we know how big the hole is and if it's possible to fit in there?" Jiang Cheng said.

Jin Zixuan then added, "That monster is still guarding the pond and it won't leave."

"We should still take the chance when we have one." I said. We all went back to the pond and hid behind the wall. I took a torch and threw it to get the attention of the giant tortoise. It's head neared the torch as Jiang Cheng slowly went into the water to find the hole. The tortoise blew out the torch. I then cut myself and wrote a talisman on my hand. I sent a wall of fire.

Jiang Cheng rose from the water. "There's a hole under here. It's quite big. It can fit 5-6 people at a time."

I looked back, "Everyone, follow Jiang Cheng through the hole. Those who are healthy carry the injured. Those who swim carry those who can't. 5 or 6 people at a time, don't rush it." The disciples ran over to Jiang Cheng to get to the escape.

"Wei Wuxian. How do we carry Wen (Y/N)? Her blood is going to attract the monster." Mianmian asked. I looked back at Wen (Y/N)'s peaceful face.

"I'll take her." I finally replied. Mianmian nodded as she ran with the others. I watched as the others escaped. Just when the tortoise was about to attack me, Lan Wangji casted a spell and pushed me out of the way. The monster went to bite Lan Wangji as he jumped back. Lan Wangji fell as it grazed his leg. I heard Jiang Cheng call for my name while Jin Zixuan pulled him back. "Jiang Cheng, go back and call for somebody to help us." I went to Lan Wangji and dragged him back into a crack in the cave. I then grabbed Wen (Y/N) and dragged her inside as well. I looked out the entrance to see the monster sink his head back into the water. I scurried back to Lan Wangji. "The tortoise seems to have been sealed at the bottom. It's fine now."

I looked over to Wen (Y/N). She was still unconscious. I turned back to Lan Wangji and lifted his hanfu to see the wound. I took the branch on the side and started to break it into sticks. Lan Wangji then started coughing as stale blood seeped out of his mouth. I took Lan Wangji headband and then wrapped two sticks around his leg. I took the herbs out of hanfu and put some on his wound before saving some for (Y/N). "Lan Zhan." I said as I pulled another bag out of my hanfu. I passed him a chocolate. "Wen (Y/N) gave me these when I was stuck in the dungeon. Eat it, it'll help stabilize your spiritual energy." Lan Zhan took it in his mouth as I ate mine. "Wen Ning wasn't kidding when he said Wen (Y/N) was fragile. She's knocked out after one scalding." I set up a fire with the leftover branches. A few moments passed as I was talking to Lan Wangji. Soon after, he suddenly fell asleep. He's asleep. It must be 9 in the evening by now. We're trapped here because we angered Wen Chao. I wonder if Jiang Cheng and Yunmeng are still safe.

I heard a cough. I looked over to (Y/N) then to Lan Wangji. I silently carried (Y/N) over to us and helped her sit up. "Where's everyone?" She mumbled as she slowly opened her eyes.

"They escaped. It's only you, me, and Lan Zhan." She looked over to Lan Wangji to see him asleep. She then noticed his leg and then quickly scrambled over. "Wen (Y/N). You shouldn't move." She then tried to cast a spell, but instead spat up blood on the side. She touched her lip to see the blood on her fingers. I pulled her back. "Your spiritual energy is weak. It's okay, we already put panacea on it." I took out one of the chocolates and gave it to her.

She took it and sat back as it melted in her mouth with a touch of a metallic taste from her blood. She muttered curse words at the Wen Clan before she looked at me. Tears threatened to fall out of her eyes. "Wei Wuxian." She started. She bowed and put her hands in front of each other. "I'm sorry. You and Lan Zhan couldn't escape because of me. My clan led you to danger and I couldn't stop them. I'm sorry." She then lowered her hands and stood. "I'll kill the tortoise for you, so you can return to Lotus Pier." I grabbed her wrist. "Wei Wuxian, I think you need to stop with the grabbing my wrists-" I pulled her down into my chest. "Wei Wuxian!"

I shushed her and whispered. "Lan Zhan is sleeping. We can kill it tomorrow or the day after. It's past 9 in the evening. Go back to sleep." I held her in my arms as I slowly drifted to sleep without knowing that pink color lightly dusted our cheeks.