Chapter Sixteen

*Not an important chapter, but Pa, the homeless man living under the stairs at Talia's apartment complex is an interesting character to me. Some may not like his importance as being Talia's support system, but I do. I hope you can see that he is helping her, in whatever strange way he can.*

•Talia•

•Talia•

Looking over what it's going to cost for treatment is a nightmare.

After finally getting my mom and brothers on board, we forced dad into going to the doctor, only to be met with the news we were already aware of: the cancer is in his lungs.

That much was obvious, but the next steps couldn't have been taken without confirming our suspicions.

Now, three weeks into my stay back in Texas, on the eve of Thanksgiving, I'm crowded around the table with my brothers.

Mom and dad are asleep in their room, the occasional wet cough resounding through the double wide from dad who can barely catch his breath. Nights have been rough I've noticed and I worry he's not getting enough sleep, being kept up with the coughing and pain. Weed edibles can only do so much.

"You have nothing in the bank? Nothing at all?" I ask Logan, not expecting much, but also not expecting to hear he has seventy cents to his name.

He shakes his head. "No one will give me a steady job around here. Hell, I'm better off going back to jail, at least I can work while I'm in there."

"Yeah making barely a dollar an hour," Micah snorts, leaning back in his chair and fiddling with his cell phone on the dining table. "Face it, we can't afford shit and dad is going to die."

My cheeks flame with anger. "You shut your fucking mouth you ungrateful piece of shit. Dad is not going to die. Just because you got yourself some fancy clothes and a better life than the rest of us doesn't mean you can just ignore the fact that he's your father and he loves you."

Christian places his hands on my shoulders and I flinch away from his touch before relaxing. He removes his hands anyway, not wanting to offend me further. "Please, Natalia, the tension is high but we can't keep taking it out on each other like this."

"Don't treat me like a child, Christian," I huff, throwing my elbows into the table and burying my face in my hands. "I don't know what to do anymore."

"There's nothing we can do. It's over. What do you want to happen? For us to force dad into treatment he doesn't even want? For mom to be saddled with debt that'll outlive her? For that debt to be passed down to the four of us? Christian and Laney can't afford to be stuck with that. Logan can't either. From the way you're acting, it doesn't sound like you're rolling in dough.

"I think it's time we accept the inevitable and try and find a way to get over the emotional pain that comes with knowing what's going to happen." Micah, always trying to be the voice of reason. As the baby of the family he's always been the most outspoken, but the biggest pain in our asses.