Chapter Ten

*Does anyone else love the 365 Days soundtrack as much as me? Good gawd.*

•Talia•

•Talia•

"You snooze you loose, Novak."

My hand grabs the door faster than he can hit the lock button on the keys, resulting in me opening my own door because this isn't 1950 and I'm a grown ass adult.

After we both step out of the beauty that is his vintage car, Ryder jogs around to my side and places his hand on my lower back, nudging me in the direction of the stairs.

"Just can't let me be a gentleman, can you?"

"Not on your life." I wink, thinking momentarily before slipping my arm behind his back and resting my hand on his waist.

I can feel his warmth through the layers of fabric, the shift of his muscles under the soft shirt. It's an odd feeling to be touching someone like this, so intimate without being overtly sexual.

It's... nice.

The air is stagnant. The last of the Nevada heat still hanging in the atmosphere before late night temperatures set it. It's been hot as usual during the days, but dropping into the sixties at nights.

Any other person may be able to handle that, but a Texan turned Floridian is freezing at these temps.

Pa, the homeless man I offloaded my liquor to is passed out under the stairs and as we walk over, I hear him shift around on his sleeping bag, getting comfortable for the night.

"You need a new apartment," Ryder mentions, offhandedly.

"Psh, I'm fine here."

"There's a homeless person under our feet."

"Pa? He's harmless."

"There's graffiti on the walls."

I shrug. "It adds a pop of color."

Ryder rolls his eyes, smirking and holding back a laugh. "You're something else, you know that?"

"So I've been told." I rush the rest of the way up the steps, leaving him two steps behind me before we make it to my front door. The paint is chipping severely and the frame itself is falling apart, but at least the lock is sturdy and trustworthy.

Turning around, I rest my hand on the door handle behind me but face Ryder standing there.

All of a sudden, my breath catches in my throat at the sight of him in the shadows of moonlight and the lights coming from the strip.