Smile

"So when will this deal officially start?" I ask.

"Starting from tomorrow, you will serve me," Sky instructs.

"Okay. What time?"

"A few hours after the sun rises."

I cluck my tongue. "I'll be at Haden's Academy."

"For what?" He wonders.

"To train," I answer.

"I'll come with you," He insists.

I raise my brow. "But you come from a different academy."

"Yeah. In a different kingdom. And we don't have a building to dedicate to train, unlike you. Can't I also enjoy the facilities of your academy?"

"You're going to have to pay tuition," I retort.

He smirks. "Money is never a problem for me."

I sigh. "Fine. Meet me at Haden's Academy. Three hours after dawn tomorrow."

He bows. "It would be an honor to be with you."

I roll my eyes. Sky's now acting like he's the one serving me, unlike the other way around. So strange...

"So may I go?" I request.

"Of course," he answers. "You may leave, Peasant Boy."

"Well, uh. Can you untie me first?" I nod to my bounded ankles and wrists.

"Man, I wanted to see you hop out of here like that." He pouts his lips. "But since I'm a kind master...Fine."

He begins pulling the taut rope off my wrists first.

"Ouch." I bite my lip.

"Those are some awful burns," He notices. He grabs some herbs from a table and begins rubbing it on wrists, ever so gently. The herbs provide a cool sensation in comparison to the stinging burns.

"Does that feel better?"

"Uh, yeah..." It was nice... but his touch also feels weird.

I noticed his large hands were twice the size of mine.

After massaging my wrists for a few minutes, he unties the rope from my ankles and softly presses the herbs on my ankles.

I jump back and he sighs. "Hold on. It'll only be for a few minutes. Then, the burns will heal a lot faster."

I ask, "I thought the deal was supposed to start tomorrow. Why do I have to listen to you?"

"Just accept the favor and be grateful," Sky says.

I agree, because the herbs were making me feel a lot better.

He hands me a bandana. "You gotta disguise your face. Right, Warrior?"

"Yeah." I cough. "See you, Sky."

"See you, Peasant Boy." He grins.

I look down shyly before I turn away.

God. That smile. It was so annoying...

I've realized I'm going to be so nervous to see him tomorrow.

***

Like Sky promised, the prisoners who attempted to steal the nobleman's bag are freed.

He really was able to convince the King... How powerful is he?

I'm finally outside of the castle and the ex-convicts walk beside me.

"Maybe you are on our side after all, Warrior." The tallest one from the gang says.

I bow. "I'm not perfect, but I try to amend my mistakes."

"Well, we thought you were our enemy. Maybe not. Since you helped us, maybe we can help you in the future." One of them, who appears to be the leader of the group, passes a slip of paper with a location and signature on it.

He continues. "If you ever need our help, come here and show this at the door. Someone will let you in and we'll assist you. Even if it's illegal. Got it?"

I nod. "Got it."

"See you Warrior kid." They bow and we finally say farewell at the palace gates.

I'm finally outside of the walls, and I'm pleasantly surprised for who's waiting for me.

Suga and Jin see me and run over.

"Oh my God, Aman! You're okay!" Suga grins with relief.

"I was about to bribe some guards with gold coins to get some information or even somehow break into the palace," Jin exclaims.

"Y-You'd do that for me?" I widen my eyes.

Jin nods. "Of course! You're our best friend."

"What happened in there?" Suga asks.

We travel away from the palace walls, and walk around the local lake.

I begin explaining everything and Suga interrupts me.

"Your own father doesn't recognize you without makeup?" He asks.

I nod. "It's been seven years since he saw me without it. It's been so long since my father came to my room to say goodnight or even try to form a personal connection with me. I feel like I'm his trophy that he compares to other royals' kids to and he just ends up disappointed with my achievements."

"That's the saddest thing I've ever heard." He then corrects himself. "Well, saddest thing I've heard this week."

"So Sky's gonna be joining our training tomorrow? And now you have to be his personal escort for a few hours everyday? I really wonder what his intentions are," Jin says.

I sigh. "I'm really confused also. He's a foreign royal and he probably has so many duties to attend, yet he seems so intent on messing up my life!"

"Well, we'll find out more about him, tomorrow."

***

As Sky promises, he meets me in front of Haden's in the morning.

"You're late, Peasant Boy." Sky crosses his arms.

I roll my eyes. "It's not easy getting here from where I was."

"And where would that be?" He wonders.

"None of your business," I answer, coldly. "Now let's just go in."

Sky has a sack of money that's more than enough for the tuition. The administrators usually don't allow new students in the middle of the year, but his wealth and royal status provides him an exception.

"Since he's a new student, Aman, can show you some activities we do? Be easy on him," Master Haden instructs.

I bow. "Of course."

Sky smiles. "Guess we'll be by each other even more than I thought."

I gulp. Man, I hope not...

Because his annoying smile is starting to feel... less annoying.

And I think enjoying his presence is even more dangerous than hating him.

AUTHOR'S NOTE: check out my other story divine defiance on my profile, if you want hehe :)