Royals

13th Century - Mongol Empire, Yuan Dynasty

        For some people, love is written in the stars for them. For others, there is tremendous grief written. For me, it was both.

        So perhaps I️ was fated to fall in love with the greatest hero, Kim Taehyung, only resulting in my greatest heartbreak. Perhaps, consistently meeting paths with the cruel villain, Park Jimin, was unavoidable.

        Let me further explain. When I️ was a mere child of four years, my parents brought me to a seer. Although these types of people were outlawed in most nations, my parents wanted this woman to foretell my destiny.

        They wanted to know what joy I️ would bring to their life. They wanted to know if their daughter's birth was a mistake.

        The old woman was famous in our kingdom for predicting futures. She correctly predicted the famine a decade ago. She correctly predicted the current king's success. She correctly predicted my gender before I was born.

        This woman knew so much. Perhaps not everything, but close to everything.

        She observed the details of my hand. She grazed her fingertips against the lines of my palm. I️ didn't understand how she could read my palm because she was blind. But I️ didn't openly question it.

        "So what does it say? Will my daughter be married to a rich royal?" My father greedily asked.

        "Ahhh...please don't rush me. My predictions just come to me. I️ don't give you the answers you desire, but I️ will give you the answers you need," the blind lady says.

         My parents were quiet and she continues running her fingers against my palm.

       "Ahh...she may have a few love affairs..."

     My father's eyes widen in horror. "Multiple affairs? That's BLASPHEMOUS for a woman! Women can't practice polygamy! She will only belong to one man. My daughter would never be as promiscuous as a Giasang. Disgusting."

       "Please don't interrupt me. Anyways, perhaps a few love affairs. She'll break many hearts. She will attract the eyes of many, but only pick one."

       My father relaxes. "Ah, thank the heavens. Rich or poor? How much dowry will he provide?"

         "Doesn't really matter...all the men in her life will only cause her grief. She's too bold. I️ would suggest her to never get married, although she may love someone. She should live her days alone. It'll give her the greatest happiness."

       "But she NEEDS to get married, eventually! What's the point in getting a daughter if she doesn't become a good wife?" My father was appalled.

       "Your daughter was not born to be a wife. The reason why she can't stay with a man, is because she questions man's authority. She is more outspoken than a man. Any man who stays with her will be too threatened with her power."

       "What do you mean by power? Will she have be physically strong or become an all knowing seer like you?" My mother wonders.

         The blind lady chuckles. "I️ am not all knowing, although I️ do know a lot. And I️ don't know about her physical strength, but I know she'll defeat the greatest conquerors."

        My father snorts. "You are just plain crazy. I️ knew everything you said was nonsense when you said every man in her life will cause great pain. I'm her father and I️'m the best influence in her life."

        The elderly woman caresses my hand affectionately. She looks at me straight in the eyes and advises me. "Please just avoid men in general. Don't get close to them. You'll only have grief, even the ones you love. Especially your father. He'll only be a nuisance."