Anyways, Shay stands at the door. A purple tooth brush hangs from her mouth. She has on baggy blue green sweat pants and a grey v neck. Her hair is in a hipster, messy bun. Don't even ask how I know what the difference from a regular and messy bun is. I don't even know.

"Hey Kyle, I was just about to watch Annie, want to join?" She asks, pulling her tooth brush out of her mouth.

"Um no, I just came here to tell you something" I answer.

"Okay, well do you want to come in? You could have a drink, my mom just got some flavored water" she replies.

"No no, it's alright, this will just take a second" I state.

"Oh alright, so what's up?" Shay asks.

"I like you, Shay, a lot. I like the way you can talk about nothing for hours. I like the way you always try to make sure everyone is happy, no matter what they have done to you. I like the way you seem fearless when you need to be. I like everything about you, and I love your flaws, and I just like you so so much" I answer, and she stands there, with her jaw dropped on the floor. 

"Um I don't know what to say" she mumbles.

"Sorry, I don't know what I was thinking coming here" I say, and then turn around to head back to my car. 

One step

Two steps

I turn around and she still stands in the door way

Three steps 

Four steps

Five steps

I'm getting closer to my car

Six steps

Seven steps

"Kyle wait" Shay says, running out to me.

I turn around, and look down at her. It's funny how much taller I am then her.

"Yeah?" I reply.

"I like you, but there's so much going on right now. My mom was just on the phone with Alexis's parents and they were complaining about how they are focusing more on the police officer than her disappearance. Dani went to the police officer today, and she was questioned for an hour before they let her go. Dani lied to them, because she was afraid if she told the truth, they would die too, or whoever killed that officer would come after her as well. Dani got so scared she couldn't even come back to school. As they pulled out from the school today, she saw you whisper something to me- it was just the thing about how we get our test grades back today- and she totally freaked out" Shay explains.

"I understand" I whisper. 

"Kyle, come in, we can hang out till you have to go home" she replies.

"I can't go home" I mutter.

"Why?" Shay asks.

"Ugh, never mind, I am just going to go over to Aiden's and spend the night. Hope you enjoy your movie, see you tomorrow" I answer, unlocking my car door. She grabs my shoulders, spins me around, and hugs me.

"Don't leave me" she whispers, holding me tight. I hug her back.

"Never" I reply, locking my car door, and then swooping her up as if we just got married, and then I carry her inside. She giggles, and it feels like we're together, even though we probably never will be. 

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Once the movie is over, I decide I should go home. I know that I need to face my mom, and it's better I just get it over with. Shay kisses my cheek good bye before I drive home, and I am pretty sure I blush.

I thought that was only a girl thing...

Eventually, I'm home, and as I walk in, there my mom waits for me. Her arms are folded against her chest, and she looks very angry, but also worried.

"Where have you been? It's almost ten thirty, and you have school tomorrow!" Mom asks, standing up.

"I was at Shay's" I answer.

"Why do you even bother with that little brat?!" She snaps.

"She's not a little brat, Shay is a nice girl who I love" I reply.

"You don't even know what love is! Your father said he loved me but he just left for the war! If your father really cared about us, he would have got a job closer to home where he could earn us money, and help with you children!" My mother shouts, and then I hear Colin cry.

"Ugh, now he's crying" my mother says, and then begins to sob. 

"Mom, I am not going to leave you. I just care about Shay a lot, okay mama? I am not going to spend more time with her than I do at home. That is a promise I will keep if you say that you won't mind her, alright?" I state.

"Okay" she says, wiping her eyes.

"Could you go check on your brother?" She asks.

"Of course" I reply, and I do as she says.

I just hope I can keep that promise.