Mike walked back into my room and stood in front of me. He squared his stance and continued to glare at me as he drummed his fingers on his bulging biceps.

"I'm becoming impatient, Lisa. Do not make me remove my belt again. Understand?"

"I'm not making you do anything, Mike," I said in perhaps not the most repentant tone.

He exhaled loudly, turned his back to me, ran his fingers through his hair, and pounded his fists on my desk. He took a few deep angry breaths before facing me once again.

"I'm done trying to get through to you. I'll be back later to take you to Jason's and Suzanne's to make your apologies. Until then, Lisa Michelle, you will remain here in your room until you're prepared to atone for your behavior."

I watched Mike leave without saying another word. If he thinks I'm going to apologize to him, he's crazy. I ran into the bathroom and fervently rinsed my mouth with water then mouthwash, trying to remove the lavender residue that coated my teeth, tongue, and gums.

After five minutes of futile attempts, I gave up and crashed face first on my bed.

Four hours later

Lisa's pov

Apparently I fell asleep, because next thing I knew, Shane was jostling me awake.

"Lisa, get up. We need to talk," he said, taking a seat on my bed.

"Wha_what time is it?" I asked sleepily, yawning as I turned on my side to face Shane.

"It's time for you to get up, shower, and get dressed. I'm taking you to your friends' houses to apologize for your ridiculous behaviour last night." Shane slapped me on the ass as he stood. "Now get going. We leave in twenty."

Before he walked out the door, I said, "I thought Mike was taking me," as I rubbed the sting off my bottom where Shane smacked me.

"Change of plans, you're coming with me so get a move on." Shane tapped his hand against the doorframe on his way out.

Hmmm, I wonder why Mike's not taking me now, not that I'm complaining though. I really don't want to deal with him anymore and I guess the feeling's mutual.

Twenty minutes later, I was sitting next to Shane in his car as he drove to Jason's house. I stared out the window at the passing landscape to avoid his judgemental gaze.

"You want to tell me why Mike's so upset with you?" Shane asked casually, even though his inquiry was anything but.

I shrugged.

"Eh, I don't know." I bit down on my thumb nail and looked away. I hate lying to Shane.

He took the opportunity to pull into the nearest strip mall, parking his car in the first open spot he found. Shit! I guess there's no avoiding this conversation now.

Shane killed the engine and turned to me, placing his right hand on my headrest. He remained silent, waiting me out.

I tried to avoid looking in his direction as long as I could but I eventually caved. Shane's probably endured torture, like for real. He'll never crack.

"He didn't tell you?" I asked nervously.

"If you're referring to your conversation with Mike, no he didn't tell me. He was too upset. So..." Shane prompted.

"He's just mad cuz I didn't apologize to him for the prank my friends and I played last night," I paused, running my fingers along the ridge at the bottom of the window, "And I may have sworn at him." I let my voice trail off, hoping Shane wouldn't hear that last part.

Shane continued to silently wait me out as his piercing glare never wavered.

"But he made me rinse my mouth out with body wash for that, which is ridiculous." I slumped back in my seat and huffed, crossing my arms over my chest with indignation.

Shane just continued to stare at me without saying a word.

To be honest, it was quite unsettling.

After a full minute of silence, I looked at him and said, "What?" I didn't like him staring at me like this. I kinda wanted him to say something, anything really.

"When we return to the Center you will immediately apologize to Mike..."

Scratch that, I wish he'd be quiet again I thought, as I listened to Shane admonish me.

"and before you go to bed tonight, I will be addressing the way you disrespected him. Have I made myself perfectly clear, Lisa Michelle?" Shane narrowed his eyes at me as he remained icily calm.

I swallowed hard hearing the unmistakable authority in his voice. I felt like a little kid being chastised by daddy and I did not like it, not one bit.

So I said, "No."

Shane's nostrils flared as the look on his face hardened.

"What did you say to me?"

"I said no, Shane. The only thing that's clear to me is that you and Mike are incapable of treating me like an adult, despite the fact that I am one." My heart was racing a million miles a minute. Did I seriously just stand up to Shane?

"Explain to me how your behaviour over the past fourteen hours mirrors that of an adult." Shane amazingly remained extremely calm.

I didn't know what to say. I was honestly in shock he didn't go off on me, slap me, or pull me over his knee.

"I'm waiting, Lisa. Give me one example of how you acted like a mature responsible adult last night, or even today for that matter." Shane looked at me expectantly and somewhat smugly, I might add.

Unfortunately, he had a rather valid point. I struggled to come up with something to prove him wrong. My friends and I had acted pretty juvenile by playing those stupid pranks on Jason but it was still fun. Anyway, being an adult sounds boring.

"I, uh...uh, I'm on my way now to apologize to Jason's family and Suzanne's dad," I said proudly. Ha! "Would an immature little kid do that? I don't think so," I sneered rather cockily at Shane, proud of myself for coming up with something.

"Didn't Mike order you to apologize to them?" Shane asked, raising one eyebrow. "Can you honestly say you would have done that of your own volition, Lisa?"

Okay, he had me there. No way in Hell I would have suggested doing that. I'm reluctant to even do it now.

"No, I guess not," I mumbled softly.

Shane frowned at me.

"How about you do as you're told now and keep your mouth shut until we get to Jason's house, clear?"

"Yes sir," I replied humbly.

"You will apologize to Mike and I will be dealing with you before bed," Shane reiterated, as he started the car and pulled out of the parking lot.

When we arrived at Jason's and then Suzanne's, I made my obligatory apologies. Upon return to the Center, I told Mike I was sorry. Thankfully, he had enough time to calm down so he curtly accepted my apology. Before I went to bed, Shane made good on his promise and gave me a prime example of why it's not a good idea to disrespect your guardians, his firm hand delivering the message quite clearly on my behind.