Chapter 12: Borne Back Ceaselessly Into The Past

Narumi's POV

"I wasn't told we were going to be roommates!" Atsushi yelled after he and Kyouka arrived at the Agency.

"We don't have enough rooms, you see," Dazai told him. Atsushi was at his desk, while Dazai was at his, which happened to be right to the left of him.

"But..." Atsushi said as he sat back into his seat.

"She agreed," Dazai told him.

"And I don't mind," I smiled. "I'm kind of happy!"

"It was an order," Kyouka said.

"Don't you get it, Atsushi-kun?" Dazai asked him, waving his hand to come closer.

"Get what?" Atsushi asked as he leaned in towards Dazai.

"Without any kin, she's as alone as you can be," he said, shielding his mouth from the side. "Besides, the Port Mafia may send assassins after her."

"That's true," Atsushi said.

*But maybe they'll be more cautious because of Akutagawa and Narumi.* I heard both of them think.

"You should protect her," Dazai told him. Atsushi then stood up with a determined look.

"Okay, I'll do my best!" Atsushi said.

"Me too!" I smiled, pumping my right fist into the air. Dazai then spun around in his chair and made a weird face.

"If you have time to mess with Atsushi, write up about your capture by the Port Mafia!" Kunikida-sama scolded him as he kept typing away.

"Hey!" I yelled at Dazai. "Don't mess with my big brother!" I pouted as I hit him a little.

"Okay, okay," he said, catching my hands and smiling at me. "Do you want to write my report for me?" I looked away and clasped my hands behind my back, swinging my body nervously.

"I... can't write... or read too well," I said softly. "I only learned to read a few kids' books at the orphanage and signs, but not how to write."

"That's okay," he smiled. "I'll just find some time every day to sit down and teach you." I looked at him with bright eyes and a big smile.

"Really?" I asked him. He smiled and nodded softly. "Thank you!" I gave him a quick hug, making him chuckle.

"Of course," he said. "My pleasure and privilege." He then turned his seat around and faced Atsushi again, who was typing away at his computer as well. "Atsushi-kun..."

"Yes?" Atsushi asked him.

"Write the report for me," He told him.

"What?" Atsushi asked, deadpanning in disbelief.

"It'll be about the person who placed a bounty on yours and Narumi's heads," Dazai said. I tilted my head in interest.

"You found out who?" Atsushi and I asked.

"According to the Port Mafia's communication records, the bounty was funded by the leader of The Guild, a North American organization of the gifted," Dazai said, holding up a flash drive.

"The Guild is considered an urban legend," Kunikida-sama said, interested in the conversation. "Their agents are said to hold key positions in finance, politics, and the military. They are a secret society who use their limitless funds and abilities to plot countless schemes. Why would such a group want Narumi and Atsushi?" We all grunted a little in surprise, raising our heads when we heard a helicopter nearby. Dazai spun around in his chair to look out the window. Tanizaki burst through the front door in a slight panic.