Chapter 8: Teaching Them To Kill; Then To Die

Narumi's POV

"Dazai's gone missing?" Kunikida-sama asked us, not really seeming to care.

"He's not answering his phone, and he hasn't returned to the dorm, either," Atsushi said. I was clinging to his left arm. I was actually really worried about Dazai because not even I could contact him through the link between us.

"He's just floating in some river again," Kunikida-sama said, typing away on his computer.

"Or he could be in prison this time," Kenji-kun said.

"My guess would be that he went off somewhere with a woman," Rampo-sama said.

"But it's true that he's targeted by the Port Mafia," Atsushi said. "It could be that..." I whimpered a little.

"That man's ability to sense danger and stay alive approaches nightmarish proficiency," Kunikida-sama said. He gave me a side look.

<You don't need to worry, Narumi.> he reassured me.

"Just think about how he's as healthy as can be despite so many suicide attempts," Kenji-kun said.

"I doubt the Mafia alone will be enough to get the better of him," Rampo-sama said. 'I'm not so sure...' I thought worriedly.

"But..." Atsushi said softly.

"I'll look into it," Tanizaki-sama said.

"Are you all better now, Tanizaki-san?" Atsushi asked him, looking to our right. Tanizaki-sama was standing in the doorway.

"Yes, thankfully," he said, raising his left hand.

"I was really worried when it all happened," Atsushi said. My thoughts went back to Akutagawa and our run in a few days ago. "I'm relieved you're okay."

"I am too," I smiled from behind Atsushi.

"I'm sorry I worried you," he said, walking into the room.

"So you're finally recovered," Kunikida-sama said.

"It's all thanks to Dr. Yosano's treatment," Tanizaki-sama said, scratching the back of his head.

"So, how many times did she get you?" Kunikida-sama asked him. I got a few flashes of memories I wished I didn't see. I shuddered and buried my head in Atsushi's arm.

"F-Four times..." Tanizaki-sama stuttered, facing away from everyone and crouching.

"That many..." Kenji-kun said.

"Atsushi-kun, Narumi-chan..." Tanizaki-sama started. "As long as you remain at the Agency, remember to never get injured." I stayed silent. 'Uh...' I thought.

"If you think you're at any risk, run," Rampo-sama said. "You should cultivate your ability to sense danger on a daily basis." Atsushi had a confused look. "For example, ten seconds from now..." I looked to my right, at the door where Tanizaki-sama was a second ago and saw Yosano-sama as she yawned. I quickly hid behind the couch.

"Oh, Dr. Yosano," Atsushi said. "Good morning."

"Oh, Atsushi," She said. "Are you hurt anywhere?"

"Oh, I'm fine," Atsushi said.

"Darn," she said.

"Darn?" Atsushi repeated.

"I was hoping to have someone come with me on a shopping trip, but I guess you're the only one around," Yosano-sama said.

"Huh?" Atsushi asked, looking around. Everyone was gone or hiding. "Is this what he meant by the ability to sense danger?" I heard him mutter to himself angrily. I decided to follow the two, just because I didn't want to leave Atsushi alone, and because I needed to take my mind off of Dazai, who was really starting to worry me. It was hours now since Yosano dragged Atsushi out shopping, and it seemed she was still not done. "D-Dr. Yosano, you're still not done?"