Episode 7: Love for the Disease Called Ideals

Narumi's POV

Right now, Atsushi, President, Kunikida-sama, Yosano-sama, and Kenji-kun, and I were all in the Agency's conference room. Kunikida-sama was briefing everyone, and I was honestly a little worried and nervous, since it was about the Azure Messenger's request, about the bomb that'd kill thousands of people.

"At present, we have an unidentified criminal organization threatening to detonate a large bomb in a metropolitan area and launch a smear campaign against the agency," Kunikida-sama said.

"I know the Agency is between a rock and a hard place," Yosano-sama said. "Tell us more about the bomb."

"This is the message left behind by the perpetrator. I'll read it now," Kunikida-sama said. " "Greetings, I hope your agency is faring well. Forgive my impudence, but I have placed a bomb capable of causing mass destruction in a certain location here in Yokohama City. To secure the citizens' safety, I request that you locate and disarm the bomb at your earliest convenience. You have until sundown. I have faith in your abilities. Respectfully, The Azure Messenger." "

"Who could the Azure Messenger be?" President asked.

"We don't know as of yet," Kunikida-sama said.

"So, it's all rigged so that if the bomb detonates, word of the Agency's failure will spread like wildfire," Yosano-sama said. "The Agency can weather sticks and stones, but this type of attack would hit us hard."

"Since yesterday, the office staff have been searching for plausible locations, but there are too many possibilities," President's secretary said.

"Hey," Kenji-kun said, raising his hand slightly. "Are we still unable to reach Ranpo-san?"

"It seems the case in Kyuushuu is coming to a head," The lady said. "I've requested he contact us as soon as the criminal is caught, but..."

"Any further information from that taxi driver?" President asked.

"He denies any knowledge of the bomb," Kunikida-sama said. "He wouldn't have it in himself to blow up Yokohama itself."

"Listen, all!" President suddenly said, making me jump slightly. "This case is a cowardly act using information to attack the Armed Detective Agency. We have two objectives: Uncover the Azure Messenger, the instigator, and disarm the bomb. The bomb takes priority due to its time-sensitive nature. If we cannot find the bomb and lives are lost, we no longer have the right to call ourselves a detective agency." I saw Kunikida-sama frown and narrow his eyes slightly. President raised his head slightly and opened his eyes, looking fierce and determined. "Think of this mission as a fight for the Agency's existence and pride." I gulped. Everyone, except President, stood up simultaneously.

"Brat, Narumi, help me track down Dazai," Kunikida-sama told Atsushi and me after the meeting.

"I think he went to the café with Sasaki-sama," Atsushi said. We all quickly made our way to the Agency's go to café.

"Kunikida-kun is a workhorse," Dazai-sama said as we walked in. "After all, he always spends two hours before going to sleep reviewing and revising his notes." We all walked up behind him. Miss Sasaki-sama noticed us while Dazai-sama talked. Kunikida-sama was leaning over the seat, Atsushi was sitting down on the table opposite of Kunikida-sama, looking over Dazai-sama's arm, and I just stood next to the two of them, next to Dazai-sama. "I doubt I could stand doing that for two minutes. Maybe he's got some soldier ants working for him in his brain-" Kunikida-sama then whacked Dazai-sama in the head so hard he fell on his side. "Oh, I didn't know you were here, Kunikida-kun."