Chapter 9: The Beauty Is Quiet Like a Stone Statue

Narumi's POV

Atsushi and I were sitting outside the infirmary, waiting. I could tell Atsushi was nervous and worried, so I laid on his lap in my kitten form to comfort him. In the infirmary, I could hear Yosano-sama typing on her laptop and the creaking of her chair when she suddenly stopped. I looked up at Atsushi, he had his hand on his forehead gently and was lost in thought. I closed my eyes and saw what he was thinking about.

"My name is Kyouka," she said in the blown open doorway of the subway. "I've killed 35 people. I don't want to kill anyone else!" Atsushi and I gasped and Kyouka jumped off the ledge.

"You've brought trouble back with you yet again," Kunikida-sama said. We both gasped and looked up at him. "She's a lost cause. The girl's a well-known assassin. She tricks targets into lowering their guard with her young appearance, then annihilates entire organizations. She accomplished too much, too quickly. It was only a matter of time before she was caught."

"But..." Atsushi started, scooching closer a millimeter. "Whoever was taking advantage of her ability is the one to blame."

"Gifts don't necessarily bring happiness to their wielders," Kunikida-sama said. "You both know that better than most." We both lowered our heads. The infirmary door opened and Yosano-sama poked her head out.

"She's awake," She told us.

"Do you think we can question her?" Kunikida-sama said.

"Yeah, that shouldn't be a problem," she said. We all walked in. I carefully laid down next to Kyouka on her bed.

"Are you okay?" Atsushi asked her. She just looked straight ahead, not answering... or even blinking for that matter. "Um, this is the infirmary at the Agency. How're you feeling? You remember me, right? And my little sister, Narumi?"

"Girl, tell us who was behind this plot," Kunikida-sama said after Kyouka remained silent. Atsushi and I looked at him, a little unsure. "The Port Mafia forces are just like a snake. Unless you cut off its head, it'll just keep coming." Kyouka stayed silent. "Answer me," he said a bit more firmly. "Who's your superior?"

"K-Kunikida-san," Atsushi said. I knew who it was... but I didn't really want to tell Kunikida-sama that it was Akutagawa.

"Tachibanadou's boiled tofu," Kyouka said.

"Boiled tofu?" Atsushi asked, looking at her. I raised my head too.

"It's really good," she said.

"You want us to get you some?" Kunikida-sama asked.

"I'll talk after you do," she said.

"Oh," Atsushi smiled sweetly. "Sure, that's a small thing."

"Hey, you..." Kunikida-sama said, taken aback. I silently sighed. 'Why do I think this will end badly?' I wondered.

"What?" Atsushi asked.

A little bit later, the four of us were in a tea shop. Kyouka was eating boiled tofu, that was actually cooking in front of us. I looked out the window to my left, since the whole wall was a pane of glass. I watched the bamboo fountain as it filled up the bamboo piece, as it fell when it filled up, and as it made a hollow thud as it hit the stone. I could literally hear Atsushi shacking as he read the menu.

"Seconds!" Kyouka declared, raising her bowl.

"Kunikida-san..." he said, crying profusely to the man to his left.

"I'm not paying," he said flatly.

"Crap..." Atsushi said, moving back to his seat.

"What would you like to order, sir?" A waitress asked him politely, smiling. I hid, because, technically, pets weren't allowed.