Chapter 28 - Mission Plans & Extractions Part 1

Chapter 28 – Mission Plans & Extractions 

Part 1

This story in not intended for readers under the age of 18! I am in no way responsible for readers under the age of 18

I own no rights to the pictures you will see within this chapter. Several all belong to the Shadowhunters TV series 

Sitting beside the pond Alec tossed bits of bread to the duck and its goslings, watching the water ripple as the small goslings scrambled for his bits of bread. All he had done since he had opened his eyes that morning was think of the past. Tossing his bits of bread, he had relived every moment he'd ever spent with his Clare-bear. The good, the bad, and the ugly. He remembered the first time he had heard her tinkling laugh when they were little long before they had formed their team and began to train. Before they had become a family.

He remembered every moment of the pain the monster that was her father had caused her. He remembered every foul word said to her and all the tormenting she had endured by most of the Shadowhunter Word because of his actions, his evil.

He remembered clearly the day he had confronted Valentine when she had shown up for training with a blackeye and the beating he had given him. His own words had echoed in his ears. 'For every bruise she has you'll have broken bones to match.' That was the day he had started giving her extra one on one training sessions. Never again had she turned up for anything with so much as a hair out of place.

He still remembered holding her and her tears when her mother had died. And he remembered her mother, Jocelyn Frey. Jocelyn had always been kind to him. He had thought back to the day that she had found him alone in the dining hall late one morning after one of his training sessions with Hodge. He had been so very tired that day. So sleepy that Hodge had cut him loose early. 'Since you can't seem to focus' he had said.

Not having friends and not knowing what else to do he had gone down to the dining hall and just sat. He hadn't wanted to study books on demons or languages or anything else, so he had just sat there alone.

He didn't know how long he'd been sitting there before she had come along. She had seemed surprised to see him. She had asked him if he'd had a fight with his friends and if they hadn't wanted to play anymore. He couldn't tell her the truth. He couldn't tell her that he didn't have any friend or that he'd never been able to play. He couldn't tell her that he wasn't allowed to play and had long since given up on the hope that he ever would be. So he had just shrugged his shoulders.

He had remembered her kind smile, his Clare-bear's smile as she'd brushed a lock of hair out of his eyes. He had remembered her asking him if he wanted a treat. He had been surprised. He'd never had a treat before, not really, so he had waited while she disappeared back into the kitchen.

He had been so excited and curious to know what her treat would be, but he hadn't had to wait long to find out. She had come back with a small piece of angel food cake covered with sweet strawberries and cream. There were more strawberries than there was cake and cream since Shadowhunters didn't do much in the way of carbs. But it had been wonderful. Just having her treat had been wonderful.

He had remembered how she had sat with him while he ate one of his now favorite 'splurge' foods. He didn't have many and only had them on rare occasions.

Sitting by the water he couldn't help but think of how much his Clare-bear was like her mother, always kind with a kind smile. He could see her doing the exact same thing to try and comfort and cheer up a sad and lonely child.