Chapter 19 - Gideon's Legacy - Part 3

Chapter 19

Gideon's Legacy Part 3

Alec had barely eaten or slept in eight days. Every time he tried to put something on his stomach, it revolted against him and came back up. He hadn't been able to shut his mind off since that first night when he had fallen into an exhausted sleep in his father's arms. Too many things where just ripping him apart inside, heart, mind, and soul.

Cat had been checking on him every few hours, trying to convince him to lie down, to let her help him sleep. To let her start an IV to give him fluids. His parabati was suffering, despite the continued use of their intimacy rune. The rune wouldn't work if either party was in imminent danger, and apparently his body thought he was. Cat had said that he was severely dehydrated and that without fluids, his body would start to shut down. By the fifth day, in that amount of time, had he been mundane, he would already be dead. But being a nephilim, having angel blood running through his veins, the process would take longer.

For his parabati's sake he had relented, allowing her to start her IV and pump him full of drugs. The first thing she had pushed into him was something to calm his stomach so he could hold something down. It had been difficult, because the drug made him sleepy, but with a little help from his sister and father he had been able to stay awake long enough to eat. Thankfully, the mundane drugs Cat had used had worked, and he had been able to keep the food down.

While he was slowly regaining his ability to eat, the medications she was giving him to sleep weren't working as they should. What should be knocking him out for eight to ten hours was only putting him under for two or three at a time. And there was only so much she could give him at once without hurting him. He had refused her offer of magical assistance. He never wanted to be touched by magic again. Magnus had used his magic against him, abused it, and the most sacred part of their relationship.

The pain from Magnus' choices and actions had finally faded into numbness. He just felt numb inside. He could no longer bring himself to think of the warlock as 'his alpha' or 'his warlock'. While his heart no longer felt like it was breaking to pieces inside him, he couldn't stop the thoughts that were racing through his mind on a continuous loop. The last time they were together kept playing on repeat, the words 'I'm not done with you yet' kept ringing in his ears. The same question kept creeping up in his mind, over and over again. 'How? How could he do this?'

Magnus had used the one thing he was most insecure about, intimacy, and their sexual relationship against him. As a means to an end. To 'wear him out' so he could portal out of the safety of Haven to find Ragnor Fell. After hearing his parabati's words that next day and coming to the realization that Magnus' words had been a lie was just another crushing blow. Magnus didn't believe a word he had said when he had 'reassured' him that he hadn't changed. That being an omega hadn't changed who he was. That he was the same as he had always been, the only difference being that now he could bare children.

He felt the ache in what he now knew would be his forever empty womb. In the dreams the Angel had sent him, he had felt the weight of his children, had craved it in his waking hours, and now, now he knew that it would never come to be. His children would never come to be.

He knew that Magnus had been coming by every day, asking about him, begging to see him, only to be sent away by one member of his family or the other, usually his sister or father. He also knew that when he wasn't at the door, he was outside, night and day. He had said to Cat 'I wouldn't leave him. Not again.'

He had come to the realization that he still loved his fated mate, and always would. He would just never have him. The pain, before the numbness had settled in, had been too deep. The betrayal too harsh. He knew in his heart that he would never be able to trust the love of his life again.