Despite my last-minute submission, the HR had scheduled my interview today and assured me I could expect their reply within three days.

Hayden could kiss my ass.

"I'm afraid I can't give you a ride, lass." A masculine voice pulled me back from my happy thoughts. My eyes swung to the driver, who was staring at me through the window, giving me a sympathetic smile. "I'll have to take this to a mechanic."

Oh, no.

Blowing a puff of air, I climbed down from the car and gave the cab driver his fare, my nerves a little jittery, my stomach growling with hunger. Spending all day at the studio wasn't my best decision. Maybe I should have taken a cab back home when the clock had ticked seven pm. Instead, I had gone to an art gallery and finally ended up on the streets of Croydon. A rather secluded street, if I might add.

Fuck, Kate!

When my phone pinged in my sling bag, I pulled it out, walking mindlessly as I answered the call, "Hello?"

"Kate!?" Saoirse's voice boomed from the phone. "It is quarter-to-eleven. Where are you?"

Although her tone was admonishing, I couldn't deny the concern underlining her words. Not used to being so cared for by my sister, I felt my heart warm. "Croydon. The taxi broke down. I'll catch another one soon-"

"Croydon?" She sounded anxious. "Share me your location. I'll send you a ride."

"Alright. Thanks."

Terminating the call, I sent her my location and groaned when my eyes fell on the batter: 3%. Could my life be any more miserable? How long should I wait on these roads?

Spotting a bench on the corner of the street, I perched down on it, hands turning clammy, my nerves knotting. The sky above me was a pitch dark canvas, not a single star twinkling in it. June breeze rustled the hedges and trees before brushing my skin, awakening goosebumps from their slumber on my skin. The desolate street I ended up in screamed danger, a single dim street lamp casting light over a road which seemed to extend into endless darkness.

Producing my sketchbook, a pencil and an eraser from my bag, I started sketching the house that sat opposite me, taking my mind off my ominous surroundings and the time.

Relief sang through my veins when bright headlights blind my vision before a car halted in my vicinity. The backdoor flew open, revealing a very relaxed Hayden, who was working on his phone. His strikingly green eyes locked with mine.

"Get in," he ordered, his velvety voice beckoning me.

Ease was chased away by anger. Anger for firing me for no good reason. Slinging my bag over my shoulder and gripping the sketchbook harder in my hands, I scoffed. "Fuck you!"

His eyes flared.

I didn't need his bloody help. I would rather stay on this miserable road than get in his car.

Jerking my chin, I strolled away from him, leaving his car door unlocked. My feet set into a sprint when Hayden climbed down from the car. Body charged with adrenaline, lungs burning for air, I ran as my life depended on this sprint as Hayden's footfalls followed mine.

"Katrina!" His velvety voice reached my ears, his tone as calm and insouciant as always.

Fuck him!

Pain shot through my limbs and I felt my trainers slip against something before my body lost its composure and I was pulled down by gravity. A pair of rough hands gripped my shoulder from falling and another hand clutched my hips.