21

Thanks for reaching the target and waiting lol

━━━━━━━━━♚━━━━━━━━━

Katrina Diaz

"Fine."

A single word loosened the tight knot in my throat and ruffled swarms of butterflies in my stomach, making me breathe with relief.

A flush covered my skin when I realised Hayden was fully dressed, but I was butt-naked. Suddenly feeling shy, I gave Hayden a nervous look. Clearing my throat, I scratched the back of my neck. "Let me grab a pullover."

And without waiting for his reply, I bolted into the walk-in wardrobe and locked the door, giving Hayden a shy smile, not knowing how to react.

"Idiot. Idiot. World-class idiot. What the hell were you thinking?" Giving myself a mental kick, I fished out a crisp white pullover from the shelves. Cleaning myself, I pulled the garment down my body and combed my hair, making sure I looked pleasant enough to look at.

Eyes locked with my reflection, I cocked a brow at myself. "Really Kate? Stay? What the bloody hell will you do since he stays now?"

Greeted by the pleasant scowl from my reflection, I flicked my eyes to my hands, studying my bandaged hand and my scars. I couldn't fathom how Hayden felt when he discovered I was a cutter. Did he feel pity? Was that why he agreed to stay? Did he feel like I was a chore?

And just like that, my mind drifted to Brooke, to Cain, to her diary, to her death. Sharp shreds of pain cut through my throat as something strong circled the organ in my chest, confiscating my airflow. Taking a deep breath, I gazed at myself, hoping my heartbeat wouldn't elevate anymore.

'You killed her.'

Despite recognising the voice, I turned my head around in hopes of finding anyone. Disappointment and fear crashed inside me in equal measure when I was met with defending silence. A drop of sweat broke out on my temple and my heart raced in its cage, seeking an escape from this trepidation — and perhaps even from the invisible fiend. Diaval.

"I did not." I swallowed the lump that formed in my throat.

'You are her killer, vile girl.'

No! No! Not again. She had to go. Shaking my head, I cut to the door, hoping to run away from the inevitable.

'You know the drill. Do it or Hayden—'

The rest of her words fell on deaf ears as I started to scream in fear. "Leave me. Please. I beg you."

'Hayden will pay.'

"No, please. No," I pleaded with the invisible presence in the little space. Resting my head against the door as tears rushed to my eyes. I would never get rid of her. Never!