Chapter Seventeen: The Runaway (Part Two)

Start from the beginning

"Wait! Chantelle it's me!" I heard the man say.

I recognized it, the grisly but gentle voice.

Ben.

I turned around and I saw Ben standing about 20 feet away from me, trying to catch his breath. He had a black hoodie on, and black jeans. He was wearing some black sneakers too, but his hoodie wasn't pulled up, revealing his blonde hair.

"Wait, what are you doing here?" I was surprised.

"I needed some time to think, do you want to sit with me on the bench? I saw you walking to it,"

"Yeah, that would be great," I sighed.

We walked to the bench and sat beside each other.

"So what are you doing here?" He asked.

"I could ask you the exact thing," I replied.

"True, I guess I'll go first," he turned his body to me, "My parents were fighting again, so I usually go to a store or something while they fight, but all the stores are closed. So, I came to the park instead,"

"Oh, I'm sorry, my parents are divorced, but before they got a divorce they fought all the time,"

"I'm sorry,"

"It's okay, they were never really good for each other. My mom was a bitchy PTO mom, even though she wasn't on the PTO. She was a wannabe,"

Ben laughed, and I chuckled as well,

"So why are you here?"

I sighed, "You're not going to believe what just happened in the last ten minutes,"

"Try me,"

"Well, my parents found my pot, so they called the cops, and the cops were going to possibly arrest me. I got out of there as fast as I could and now there are squads of cars out there looking for me,"

"Wow," He said in shock.

"Yeah, I know," I chuckled sheepishly.

"Well don't worry, I won't tell them you're here,"

"Thanks, I guess,"

We sat there in silence for a while, just enjoying the stars peeking through the clouds. It was a quiet, breezy night. My curly hair was moving with the wind slightly, as it never really moved much, even on the most windy days because of all the product in it.

"Hey, weird question," I said, breaking the silence.

"What's up?" He replied.

"Do you know a place I can stay for the night, some motel maybe that won't ask for ID?"

He looked out into the field, thinking, "I've heard of a place,"

"Great! Where is it?"

He clicked his tongue and looked down, "In DC, it's a local motel called Ivy's Garden."

My expression changed quickly, "Oh,"

"Yeah,"

"Well, it looks like I'll be needing to travel to DC tonight,"

"Good luck, I'll miss you, Chantelle,"

I sighed, and I felt really sad. It's all becoming so real. Once I leave the park there is no going back. My life will never be the same. My parents won't look at me the same way they did five years ago, when I was only in the eighth grade. I was so innocent, taking care of little two year old Julia.

No one could have predicted what happened to her.

"I'll miss you too," I got up from my seat, and started to walk to the exit of the park.

"Wait," Ben said behind me.

I turned around, and faced him.

"I have one more thing to say, before I might never see you again,"

"Yes?" I replied.

He stood up from the bench and walked over to me, "I've only known you for two days, but you have become so important to me," He grabbed my hands and met my eyes, "I have never trusted someone so fast ever in my life. I feel as if I can be my true self with you, and I don't have to fake it, ever. And, I think you feel the same way too,"

I smiled, "I do,"

"And, I hope you're not getting the impression that I am trying to hit on you, I mean you technically have a boyfriend."

"Right, of course," I said sheepishly.

Right, Chantelle. Remember that.

"But, I really hope I get to see you again, because you have been such an amazing friend to me."

"Me too. And, I do feel the same way. I really liked how we bonded today, even though I've only known you for two days, it feels like I have known you for longer." Tears started to escape my eyes, not just because I was leaving him, but he also just friend zoned me. I mean, granted I have only known of his existence for two days, but getting friend zoned still always hurts.

"Until we meet again?"

"Yeah," I put on a fake smile, trying to hide my tears. He then hugged me really tight, and I hugged him back.

"Goodbye," I said.

"Goodbye," He replied.

I let go of him, and then finally turned to the exit of the park. I can't believe I'm not even saying goodbye to Becca either. She's been a sort of good friend, and really has been my only friend in this situation. It hurts that I'm leaving everyone and everything behind unexpectedly. I mean, with college, at least everyone knows it's coming, and you can still keep in touch.

Not in this situation to say the least.

The thought of leaving Ben also made me sad. I have opened up to him more than I have even to Becca. Should I really leave someone behind like that?

"Hey, Ben, before I go."

He chuckled, "Yes?"

"How about you come with me? I mean, you're eighteen right?"

"I am,"

"So come with me! Start a new life with me, I want you in it,"

He looked down and started tapping his foot. I automatically panicked because I thought I pushed him over the edge. Maybe he doesn't want to come with me, maybe he just said all of those things because he knows he probably will never see me again. What if he knows he liked me and he just said those things to be nice?

He looked back up at me, "Alright, let's do this,"

"Really?"

"I need a fresh start away from my family, and so do you, so why not do it together?"

"Yeah," I smiled.

"Well, then let our adventures begin,"