chapter sixteen

"Mr. Sheikh! it is an honor to meet you and your beautiful wife in person. May your marriage be blessed!" The Arab man wearing a keffiyeh said.

"Ah! the pleasures all mine Sir Ubaydullah, and thank you." Ali replied.

Ali knew Anaya looked gorgeous, even if she didn't smile. He undoubtedly noticed every man stare at her walk by, every guy they greeted made sure to give her a long stare. So of course, he made sure to hold her arm extra tightly, regardless of her constant resistance.

The same way, Anaya had noticed the death glares she was receiving from every girl there- each of them who were wildly attractive. Maybe if they knew how ghastly this man was on the inside they wouldn't drool over him. Anaya never denied Ali's insanely good looks, but his actions never allowed her to be attracted to him. She hated this man's guts.

"Hello, Mr. Ali."

Anaya and Ali both turned around at the girly voice that called out to him. Ali looked at Erika and her dangerously low tassel dress, but for some reason, he didn't feel that throb he always felt when he looked at Erika. Rather, to Ali's utmost irritation he looked to his side, to the woman who was covered from head to toe in her breathtaking red dress, and he felt his pulse fasten as he wanted to do something to her instead.

He coughed the sensation away and shook the hand that Erika held out.

"I am going to go get a drink," Ali said, finally releasing Anaya.

"And you! How can I forget? Ms. Abassi, so great to finally see you," She said, not even trying to hide the bitterness.

"Hello! You are?" Anaya smiled back, originally Anaya was going to be as uncooperative as possible just to tick him off, but this annoying party was getting to her, and Ali was finally gone.

"Erika. I am the CFO of A-plus. You?"

"I'm Anaya. I am a teacher." She smiled.

"Oh that's impressive," Erika scoffed.

"Yeah, it is. It gives me a sense of humbleness." Anaya smiled, clearly trying to shoot back at Erika's belittling comment, but not being able to say anything too snarky as she didn't want to hurt anyone's feelings.

"Aw. Well, look where that got you." She said looking Anaya up and down.

She knows, doesn't she? Anaya thought.

"Auzu billahi minash shaitan rajeem," Anaya whispered.

Erika downed her glass of champagne and came closer to Anaya.

"Now if you'll excuse me," She smiled.

Anaya stood there dumbfounded, and so helpless. There was nothing she could do, she was surrounded by hundreds of people yet she felt so helplessly alone. She took a look around the bar, to locate Ali- but he was nowhere to be found.

She took the chance to walk around, and she felt the stares of all these people, and she began to feel hot, and shaky. She needed to get out of their sight, her anxiety was shooting up all through her body and she was going to breakdown. Anaya took a quick left to an empty hallway away from the main arena of the house that people stood by.

Anaya saw the other side of the stairs and decided to go up- carelessly. She walked around the empty hallway as the noise from downstairs became muffled, and another sound made way to her.

She looked to her left, and there were two big double doors. She went to the side of the door, and her breathing halted as the door opened, but the servant came out and gave her a respectful nod, as she let out her breath. As the man left, she used her pinky to stop the door from completely closing, and then she heard the voices clear.