Chapter Twenty three

Doctor's POV

"Boxes are all packed and boarded," Jack said, brushing his hands together. "We're ready for take off."

The Doctor gave him a grin and put his hands in his pockets. "I appreciate the help, Jack. Nice to have you on board."

He flipped the large lever on the console and the TARDIS sighed and whooshed on liftoff. They sat in silence as the Doctor piloted the box into space before switching the controls into something like autopilot. About twenty minutes later, he took a content step back and rested his hands on the panel.

Jack looked around for a moment from where he stood. "Where's the lovely co pilot?"

"She just needed a minute alone," the Doctor said, his smile faltering.

"Ah," Jack sighed.

"Do you think she'll be okay?"

Jack looked at him with mock surprise. "The Doctor is acting Captain Jack Harkness about women?"

"I'm serious, Jack."

"And I am too," Jack crossed his arms. "Were you serious about the whole, 'I don't like her and I never will' thing too?"

The Doctor frowned. He didn't recall ever saying that. His expressions must have conveyed his thoughts, because Jack reached over to the console and pressed a few keys on the board.

Sure enough, a video appeared of him saying the exact thing Jack had quoted.

Now, it was the Doctor's turn to sigh. "I was... disappointed when she'd left me the first time we had met. I said things I didn't mean-"

"So you fancy her?" Jack asked quickly with a cheeky grin.

The Doctor threw his hands in the air. "I-I mean, well," he stammered before giving up. "That woman, my friend, is broken right now because I messed up. I'm probably the last person she wants to see. And besides, she doesn't even feel the same way, trust me."

Jack raised his eyebrows but didn't respond. Instead, he took a seat on the chair.

"All I'm saying is if you don't ask her out, I will," Jack said tauntingly.

"Stop it," the Doctor warned. He looked down at the ground. "I wouldn't be surprised if she asks to go home. Permanently."

He paced around the room before running his hands through his hair. "I've ruined her."

"Don't sell yourself short there Doctor, you ruined me too," Jack said, raising his hand.

The Doctor gave him a look before switching a few levers and pressing some buttons. "Maybe I should take a break. Give her time to gather herself."

"I've had enough time to gather, Doctor," a voice said behind them. Willow jumped up onto the platform that held to console and crossed her arms. She had changed into shorts and a blue sweater. Her eyes were still a bit red, but besides that, she had freshened herself up.

"Don't blame yourself. I've screwed up-"

"-in more ways than one," Jack said.

Willow glared at him before doing a double take. "Welcome aboard, Captain," she said in a surprised tone. He gave her a small salute.

"I'm sorry Jack, for being a bitch to you in the beginning. I was a jerk when you only wanted what was best for the both of us. Even when you tried to kidnap me."

"What?" the Doctor asked, eyes wide.

"Anyways, Doctor, I'm sorry. I really am, but I can't sit here and cry. I have to move on. If I don't, then... then... " she looked at the Doctor and her sentence trailed away. "Let's just get out of here."