Chapter Seventeen

The day started like it always had. Willow fell into routine, making the bed, fixing breakfast, a quick kiss goodbye. Soon enough, she was alone again till 6:30.

Willow placed her nightclothes in the bottom drawer, and her hand grazed something cold. When she looked down, there was the silver fob watch. Just looking at it brought back what Jack had told her. She pressed her thumb into the markings with consideration before stuffing the watch in her jean pocket.

She spent an hour folding laundry, then three hours lazily watching television. After binging a marathon of Charlie's Angels, Willow turned off the TV and sat in the silence that pained her. She'd been pent up in the apartment for way too long, she craved socialization.

Willow found herself dialing a number into the telephone. A number she never thought she'd call.

After a few beats, a springy voice answered, "Hello?"

Willow leaned on the wall as she put the phone to her ear. "Hey, Jamie, it's Willow."

"Oh, hey," she said with surprise.

"Do you want to come over to my place for a bit? I'm not doing anything, but if you are-"

"Oh! No, I'm not busy at all!" Willow could practically hear her smile. "I'll be over in a second!"

When Willow opened the door, she gave a look of surprise. Normally Jamie always dressed daintily and was clean, but before her was something different. She wore grey joggers and a baggy sweatshirt. There were bags underneath her usually bright eyes, which were revealed when she pushed back her frayed hair.

"Jamie, are you alright?" Willow asked, actually concerned.

Jamie looked down at herself and heaved a sigh. "I'm just tired, is all. Scott's job has a deadline that's kept us pretty stressed over the past week."

Willow raised an eyebrow. "You've been stressed because of your husband's work?"

Jamie nodded like she was a bit embarrassed by it. Willow gave her a small smile and placed her hand on her shoulder. "Looks like we're both stressed. Come on in. We can talk about it if you want."

"That'd be wonderful," she said, back to being bubbly. She went in and took a seat at their kitchen island.

"So," Willow said from the kitchen as she turned on the coffee machine. "What's this big project about?"

Jamie pushed back her blonde hair. "It's a resource thing. I didn't get the details, but it's really been putting a strain on Scott."

"Sounds awful," Willow said, leaning on the counter.

Jamie gave a hum of agreement before resting her elbows on the table. "So, how are you and John?"

Willow glanced at her before tending to the coffee. "We're cool. We're... fine." She poured the liquid into two mugs and handed one to Jamie. She took a seat and dumped six large spoonfuls of sugar into her coffee. Jamie smiled and cocked her head. "Do you think he'll pop the big question anytime soon?"

"What, is free will real or just an illusion?" Willow scoffed, taking a sip of her coffee.

"No..." Jamie said, propping her head in her hands. "Marriage!"

Willow coughed violently on the coffee that was halfway down her throat. She went to the faucet with a spare cup and chugged a glass of water. "What about it?" she panted in a tight voice.

"Think about it. You've been together for how long?"

Willow thought back to what John had told her the first morning she'd been here. "Two years."

"Two years," Jamie repeated, sipping on her coffee. "It'll be coming soon."

Willow shook her head. "N... no, I'm not the type to get married. John knows that. I think."

"Ah, a freelancer," Jamie replied.

Willow shot her a confused glare. "We can be happy without getting married. There isn't exactly a point to it. A priest says you're bound together, you sign a paper dedicating your life to another person and whoopty doo, children." She looked at Jamie. "No offense."

"None taken."

"Besides, it wouldn't turn out in the end," Willow said, staring off into space. "It really, really wouldn't..."

Jamie gestured towards Willow's hands. "What's that?"

"What's what?" Willow looked down and bit the inside of her cheek. She hadn't realized that she'd taken the watch out of her pocket. "Just a gift from a friend."

"It looks vintage, I love old things," Jamie explained before standing up and taking the watch from Willow's hands.

Feeling defensive all of a sudden, she quickly plucked it back. "You can't touch it," she snapped. Jamie shrunk back, making Willow feel guilty. "I'm sorry, Jamie."

"It's fine, really," Jamie gave her a reassuring smile and peered down at the watch. She seemed particularly interested in the circles and lined engravings. "Do you know what those markings mean?"

Willow shook her head. "No clue."

"Have you opened it before?"

Willow glanced at her and gave a half shrug. "It's just a watch," she said before pocketing it.

Jamie's gaze lingered at her pocket, but she gave Willow a smile.

"We should try," she urged her.

Willow shook her head and rinsed her coffee mug out. "I don't think that that's a good idea."

Jamie looked her up and down. "Why?"

"It just isn't," Willow said, her back facing her as she washed the cup. "I think you should go now. I'm pretty busy."

They sat in silence. A silence that hung in the air for way too long. It sent a shiver down Willow's spine. Something was terribly wrong.

"Okay, I've got another plan. Give me the watch," Jamie said in an all too even tone. Willow stiffened as she heard a click. A second later, she felt the barrel of something like a tranquilizer on her back. "Now."

"You have got to be kidding me," Willow groaned before a sharp object jammed itself into her neck and knocked her out.