Chapter Ten

Willow glanced at the clock as she waited for Captain Jack. John had gone out to get groceries, giving her about 30 minutes before he'd return. As she stood there, something in her heart stirred the more she thought about what she was about to do. She felt regret. She shouldn't have been feeling that way. The Doctor needed to come back for the sake of every being in existence. He was the one who'd save people, not John. 

Flashes of when he kissed her flooded her mind, but she suppressed them. He'd done what he was meant to do. This man believed he was John and she was his girlfriend. So why did it feel so real?

Someone knocked on the door, pulling Willow out of her thoughts. She quickly opened the door, revealing Captain Jack.

Willow nodded a greeting before inviting him in. "We've got 30 minutes before John-er, the Doctor returns."

Jack surveyed the apartment from where he stood, nodding the longer he stared.

"The Doctor made sure you were taken care of," he said approvingly.

Willow pulled at her dress. "Well, I'd rather not be stuck here in 1981 than live in this gaudy place."

Jack looked downwards. "Right. Sorry about that."

She shrugged before motioning for him to sit down at the kitchen table. "How exactly did you know that he was the Doctor? I mean, I didn't see you when we'd first landed."

"I was walking by when I heard the sound of the TARDIS. The moment I did, I came running. I saw you walk out, to survey a place to live, I'm assuming. I figured you were his compan- er, co-pilot, so all I had to do was look for you. It was quite difficult, considering the fact that the Doctor looks completely different from when I knew him, so you were my only lead."

Willow frowned. "What do you mean different?"

Jack paused, his face showing that he knew more than he was about to say. "He hasn't told you yet. Hm," he murmured, folding his fingers. "It really isn't my position to tell you."

Willow sighed with annoyance. "I'm getting tired of not knowing."

"Trust me, he'll want to tell you himself."

"If we can get him back."

"Which we will."

She stood from her chair. "Well then," she pointed at the door. "Let's go to the TARDIS."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Willow stepped behind the dumpster and made a grand gesture at the blue box.

"Here she is," she said, patting the blue wood gingerly. "Poor girl has been powered down for the four days we've been here."

She looked at Jack, who had a massive grin on his face. "Oh, I've missed you!" he exclaimed to the TARDIS before his happiness trailed off. "Though you might not be too happy to see me."

Willow gave a quizzical expression to Jack, but he ignored it. When she went up to the door and pushed, it opened with a groan.

Jack looked at her with surprise. "You opened it without a key."

Willow raised an eyebrow, content with his amazement. "There's a key?" she asked in a flat tone, like some kind of professional.

She spun around and went inside.

"Hey girl," she whispered. The TARDIS made a shuddering noise, like she was deciding whether she should be happy or annoyed with Willow's plus one.