Chapter Sixteen

At 6:30, John walked through the apartment door as per usual. However, Willow didn't get up to greet him. She stayed on the couch, eyes glued on the television.

"Hey Will," he said, placing his hands on her shoulders. Willow tensed up and shied away from his touch. For some reason, it all felt odd again.

John gave her a concerned look and let his hands fall to his side. He swung his legs over the backing of the couch and plopped himself next to her.

"Is something wrong?" he asked.

Willow crossed her arms and legs, still heated from her encounter with Jack. "I'm fine."

"Are you sure-"

Willow turned her head and gave a stern glare. "I'm fine."

John furrowed his eyebrows together and stood up with frustration. "Okay then," he scoffed. "I was just asking. I mean, you're acting like you did a month ago."

Willow paused before grabbing the remote and turning the TV off. She looked up at him. "What are you talking about?"

John shook his head with another scoff. "When you were being detached and... weird."

"Weird?" Willow mocked, standing up. All of her pent up anger towards Jack let loose, though she wished it was towards him and not John. "Shit was happening, there were things that you wouldn't understand."

"Does it have to do with whatever you're too busy doing instead of working?"

Willow pinched the bridge of her nose and looked downwards. "What the hell are you talking about?"

"Remember when Jamie invited us over for dinner-"

"-oh for fuck's sake, that was a month ago-"

"You said that you're too busy to work! You did!"

Willow vigorously shook her head. "I was just talking to talk! I didn't mean it like that!"

John heaved a sigh and placed his hands in front of himself. "Is it Jack?"

"What about him?"

John gave her a look that immediately sent Willow into defensive fit.

"God, no! Why the hell would I-"

"-I don't know Willow," John said. "I really don't know."

Willow ran a hand through her hair as she took in a breath. "I would never do that. I swear."

She tried to catch his hurting gaze by reaching for his hand. John avoided her eyes and jerked his hand away. Instead, he went into the bedroom, closing the door behind him and leaving Willow to sit in the uncomfortable silence.

She sank back onto the couch, bringing her knees to her chest. If there was any hope that this day couldn't get any worse, it just had.

She felt awful. She shouldn't have ever spoken to Jack. If she hadn't, she could have happily been with John. Contrary to Jack, she was attracted to this man. At least, she thought so. Since the Doctor didn't like her, there was no way she could lose this. She was drunk on the feeling of loving this man, or wanting to anyway, and no one could stop her.

4 hours later; 10:45 pm

Willow slowly went into the bedroom. John's gaze immediately went to her's, before quickly shifting to his lap.

She changed into a tank top and shorts for bed and pulled the curtains shut.

John," Willow started tentatively, walking to the side of the bed. Her palms were sweating and her head spun.

He sat on their bed with a black T-shirt and boxers. His legs were stretched out and his hair was tousled.

"Yeah?" He replied, raising his eyebrows in a way that made her heart leap. It was over for Willow.

How dare he, Willow thought before biting the inside of her cheek.

"We just argued," she sat down on her side of the bed.

"Yes, we did," he shifted a bit, and Willow's eyes shifted to his hips. She sucked in a breath. "And you're angry."

"Upset," he corrected her.

She hummed with agreement before moving toward him. "We've never done that before."

John quirked his head to the side like the Doctor. "Not like that."

"Well then," Willow rolled into the bed completely. "Let me make it up to you. Get up, come on," Willow crossed her legs underneath her and pushed John up. He groaned as she did so, but he obeyed.

She gently began to massage his shoulders, touching each one with care. He breathed a sigh of relief.

"I know that I acted weird. I'm sorry," Willow murmured after a minute of silence. "And no, I'd never cheat on you. I'm not that kind of girl."

"I know," John said, his voice barely above a whisper.

"Now that that's out of the way..." Willow put her lips to his ear. "What kind of girl would you like me to be... tonight?"

John turned around with one eyebrow raised. Their faces were only inches apart, hazel eyes met brown ones. John's eyes traveled down to Willow's lips. "Don't get me started, Will," he grinned.

"Watch me," Willow replied with a smile on her lips. She gave him a small kiss, and pulled away, leaving John waiting for more. They sat there for a moment, just looking at the other. John's eyes flashed as he traced Willow's lips with his finger.

"I'd like to see you try-!"

Willow lunged forward and placed her lips on his, cutting him off. Her hands wrapped themselves around his neck, and they went tumbling back onto the center of the bed. John looked a bit surprised at Willow, as she was now on top of him. He responded with passionate kisses all over her face, fingers running through her thick curls with each kiss. His lips caught hers, and he bit her bottom lip softly. Willow didn't hold back as she kissed his shoulders and face, gripping onto his arms and chest. It wasn't long till John's shirt was on the floor. 

They were two bodies swaying back and forth, like it was meant to be. One kiss after another, each one more electrifying than the last. They sat upright once again, Willow now in front of John. She closed her eyes with delight as John's kisses traveled down her neck and onto her shoulders while his fingertips traced her arms. It sent goosebumps down her spine and she giggled.

"John," she breathed as he wrapped himself around her body.

"Willow," he replied playfully, kissing the back of her head.

"I love..." she tried to say it. She really did. But the more she thought about it, the less excited she felt. As much as she hated to say it, Jack had spoken the truth. Willow didn't see John, she saw the Doctor. It wasn't fair to him. It wasn't right.

She shook her head. "You've got work tomorrow anyways," she said with a sad smile and softly pushed his face away from hers.

John let out a breathy laugh, unaware of her resignation. He kissed her neck again. "But we were just getting started. I've got hours till I gotta get up."

Willow turned around and looked him square in the eye. "John."

His smile faltered and he looked down. "Right. Sorry," he pursed his lips and squeezed her shoulders. He turned away, feet dangling over the edge, and let out a small sigh before peeling back the bed covers and crawling into the white sheets.

Willow tucked a curl behind her ear before blowing a sigh of her own. She fixed her nightclothes as her face heated with shame.

What the hell was she doing?

I'm lost without you, Doctor, she thought as she stared at John's tousle of hair peeking over the covers. Willow slowly slipped into the sheets and turned off the light, leaving her thoughts and feelings to cloud her mind for the rest of the night.