Chapter Six

Willow faced herself in the mirror and the same hazel eyes stared back. 

“Me… but 80’s,” she murmured. She went through a drawer of her clothing before selecting a pair of acid washed shorts and tucking an oversized striped t-shirt in the waistline. 

Her hair was pulled in a half-up-half-down fashion with a scrunchy securing her thick brown hair. 

Willow did a quick check in the mirror and grinned. While walking out of the bathroom, she placed her hands on her hips and surveyed the large apartment. 

“If I was a good girlfriend, what would I do?” Willow asked herself aloud. Her eyes traveled to the clock.

It was almost five o’clock, so she went into the kitchen to whip something up for when John came home. 

Willow took one long look in the fridge before closing it. 

“Yeah, no, we aren’t cooking,” she scoffed, jumping onto the couch and grabbing the TV remote. Each channel was advertising a Jane Fonda workout tape, much to Willow’s amusement. She watched for a while until the door clicked open. 

“Hey Will,” John said, hands full with brown paper bags. He had changed into the Doctor’s brown suit for the interview, making Willow stare longingly.

His free hand flew to his side consciously. 

“What?”

Willow shook her head and tried a smile. “Nothing. Nothing at all.”

“Someone’s in a better mood,” John said in a sing-songy tone. 

“I have my moments,” Willow replied with a natural smirk. 

John’s mouth curved into a smile as he reached into the brown bag. 

“I figured you weren’t going to cook tonight, so I got sandwiches,” he said, retrieving a wrapped hoagie. 

“You read my mind.” Willow nodded gratefully. “Thanks dude.”

John furrowed his brows at her response.

“Er- sweetie,” Willow tried, cringing at herself. She made a mental note to work on her ‘love lingo’ later.

“Anyways, I passed a nice lake near here, and I was wondering if you’d like to join me on a lovely picnic.” John crossed his arms. “And I promise it’s not too hot outside…  anymore. Don’t need you running off again.”

Willow scoffed, suppressing a smile. 

“Is that a smile I see?” John said, waggling his eyebrows.

Covering her face with her hands, Willow rolled her eyes playfully. “I’ll change my mind if you keep it up.”

John laughed. “So it’s a yes then?”

She nodded, still hiding her smile. 

 “Good,” he said, going into the bedroom. “Let me change and I’ll be ready in a minute.” 

He was gone for a good second before reappearing in the doorway.
“God, you're beautiful when you smile.” John hesitated before quickly adding, “not that you aren’t beautiful when you’re frowning, it’s just-”

“I… I get the gist,” Willow stammered. She looked away when she felt her face heat up from flattery. “He just had to be a romantic,” she thought.

“I love you, Will,” he said. With a small tip of his head, he went back into the bedroom.

Even though there was no one else in the room, Willow still had her hands covering the smile she was unable to let fall from her face.