"What happened?" I ask. 

"When the guys saw the girl with me, they backed off. Once they were across the store, the girl introduced herself, her name was Rebecca Kerr. Turns out she heard them talking before about how they were going to kill me. So she pretended to know me. She took me over to the cashier so we could get security. They came to get the two guys who are now under arrest and she walked me to my car, but Henry, what if they had already left?" She sobs. "What if Rebecca hadn't been there?"

"Don't think like that Piper." 

"What do you mean, 'don't think like that'?" She snapped. "I can't afford to not think like that. I don't know a single woman or girl over my age who hasn't had an encounter like that before. Up until now, I thought that that type of thing would never happen to me, but it did." 

"Oh Piper, I'm so sorry, I didn't realize it was this bad for women." 

"Of course you wouldn't get it Henry, you don't have to deal with shit like that nearly as much as women do. I mean sure, this shit happens to men too, but not nearly as much as it does for women." She said quietly. 

"I'm so sorry this happened to you Piper." 

"I know you are Henry, but it doesn't change the fact that women like me are being treated like this all the time all over the world. So please, can we just sit here, drink our tea and eat the strawberries and cream?" 

"Of course Piper." I say grimly. 

- time skip - 

I sat in bed, my back against the headboard, thinking about what Piper told me. To think that what happened to Piper happens all over the world, it makes me sick. I was supposed to be a superhero, yet I didn't realize how bad it was for the women of the world. How bad it was for my best friend, for my sister.

I pause for a moment before pulling out my phone. I dial Charlotte's number. It rings a couple times before my friend answers. 

"Hey Henry, what's up?" She asks. 

"Hey Char, I need to talk to you." 

"Uh, isn't that what we're doing?" She says sarcastically. 

"I'm serious Charlotte." 

"Oh."

"Charlotte have you ever experienced sexual assault." 

The line goes dead quiet. After a few seconds of silence she finally speaks up. 

"Yes. I wasn't assaulted but I could have been." She replies, any joking tone lost. 

My stomach churns. 

"When?" 

"A year ago. When we were at the carnival on the docks. You and Jasper left to grab us some lunch while I stayed with our stuff.

"What happened?" 

"While I was waiting, a man came up and sat down at my table. He sat right next to me." She said quietly. "He told me that he could be everything I ever wanted. I told him I was with my boyfriend, which I obviously wasn't considering I'm single. He said that I should forget about him and come to his car so he could screw me in the backseat. When I told him no and to leave me alone, he got really angry. That's when a girl ran up to me." 

The same thing happened to Piper. 

"She acted like she knew me and said that our friends told her to wait with me while they got us food. That she was sorry she was gone for a second but she just had to use the bathroom." Charlotte explained. "At that point the guy left me alone. She told me her name and she stayed with me until I told her I saw you guys."