Chapter 53- HOT AND COLD

Jake and Danny were running around the exercise yard on a cold Winter morning. There was wind and rain but they were just wearing a vest and shorts, they were freezing. It was their punishment exercise and Officer Reynolds was not impressed with their lazy performance

''IF YOU TWO LAZY BOYS CAN'T TRY HARDER I CAN ALWAYS KEEP YOU OUT HERE FOR TWO HOURS INSTEAD OF ONE!'' he yelled at them. Terrified at the idea of another hour in the cold they pushed themselves harder, knowing their bodies would ache all over later.

At last, they were taken for a shower. But they weren't going to be getting warmed up just yet. ''YOU WILL BOTH STAND UNDER THE COLD WATER FOR 10 MINUTES'' Reynolds told them ''SIR THIS IS SO COLD, PLEASE SIR 10 MINUTES IS TOO LONG'' Danny complained ''OK NOW YOU WILL STAY UNDER FOR 20 MINUTES'' Reynolds said ''you boys should know by now what happens each time you argue and complain. You boys just do not do yourselves any favors do you, you never seem to learn your lesson''

Later on, Jake and Danny were working in the workshop. At last, they were warm but they still felt a cold shiver even in the warmth, a residual effect of being under the cold water for so long. The boy who Alex had owed money to came to sit with them while they worked, Danny remembered when he had met him before at a party he and Alex had attended a few months earlier and his name was Aaron. Danny realized that Aaron was a drug dealer and Alex owed him money for drugs that he had taken from him on credit. But it had also been revealed that it hadn't been just Alex it had been Liam too

''Your brothers were both pathetic drug addicts'' Aaron told Danny ''They couldn't get enough of the stuff. Still, they were good customers so I became too trusting with them and allowed them credit, that was a bad mistake because then they let me down big time''

''The thing is they are both dead now'' Danny explained ''it really isn't my fault what my brothers did''

''I don't care, I still want my money and you're the one who will pay me now that those two losers are both dead''

''I really don't have the money'' Danny explained again

''Oh dear oh dear...'' Aaron said ''in this case I will have to start your punishment boy''

''Ah Aaron man please'' Danny said ''Do not punish me man please''

''You know the deal, you pay me the £1k or you get fucking punished, I was clear enough about that''

Jake stepped in to help Danny out ''Listen Aaron'' he said sounding more confident than he really felt ''I'm Danny's friend and I am going to help him. I can pay you the £1k, it's just that I need to see my parents first to get the money and right now I am on a 1 month punishment ban on visits. So if you can just wait for 1 month then you'll get your money once I can see my parents ok?''

Aaron did not look very happy ''1 month? you've gotta be fucking kidding me'' he said with a snarl ''you're taking the piss and I will not wait 1 fucking month you losers, it's way too long. But since you wanted to get involved and wind me up and take the piss you can now be punished along with Danny''

''No'' Danny said firmly ''If you're going to punish me then ok but leave Jake out of it, it has nothing to do with him''

''It didn't have anything to do with him until he opened his big stupid mouth and told me he is getting involved and he wound me up so now he is involved too and anyway I will enjoy punishing the pair of you for a laugh too''

That evening the lads were in the showers having an evening shower, all the boys liked to freshen up after a sweaty day in the workshop. Sometimes it just got too hot in there with the radiators blasting out heat. Aaron and his gang blocked the doorway and only let the others leave, they kept Jake and Danny behind

''Hey let us out of here!'' Danny said angrily ''you cannot keep us here like this''

''You two need to get back in the shower'' Aaron told them ''it's time for the first of many punishments for you''

''Look we've already had a shower ok, we don't need another one''

''I heard that Reynolds makes you both have a cold shower each morning'' Aaron said with a grin ''if you ask me a cold shower is the easier option, a hot shower would be crueler and by hot I mean too hot, I mean getting burnt and getting blisters on your skin that kind of hot''

''Look Aaron please'' Jake said ''Just be reasonable about all this. I swear I can get the money for you, all you have to do is wait for 1 month''

''I already told you, you are having a fucking laugh here, 1 month is too long to wait''

''It's not our fault, Ferguson stopped out visiting privileges''

''Because you two dirty assholes couldn't even keep your cells tidy, yeah I heard. I tell you I don't even like dirty and lazy boys. I run this wing, I am the top boy and I hate dirt and germs, I like clean boys who pull their weight. I really can't find a single thing I like about you two, you're both losers and you both wind me up''

Aaron's gang forced Jake and Danny under the water and they were held there as steaming hot water poured down on them. Their screams echoed around the nearby corridors, but if anyone heard they just ignored it, no one would get involved, and no one would want to create trouble for themselves by doing so. The screws didn't care and the other prisoners were too scared.

See no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil