Of Masks and Masquerades.

17 hours into the day that could possibly alter her whole life,  Elysia stood gawking at the mirror.

Her black gown looked as if it was encrusted with diamonds - an eerie shine coming off of them as she twirled. The dress gave her an aura so powerful that people would've bowed down to her if she wanted them to. It screamed grace and power.

Just when she thought she should close her mouth or the flies would get in, her mom walked in with her mask.

A black lace mask embedded with black rhinestones.

Perfect.

The black mask accentuated her features perfectly. Her dark brown eyes and long eyelashes stood out. Her cheekbones looked higher than usual , jawline sharp.

"Where did you even get this mask from?"

"A gift. we got this from a stranger on your first birthday. Never once in all these years of ball gowns and parties did I wear this mask. But look at how well it fits you.. it's like this was made for you."

Her mother stepped back and took in her appearance, smiling softly.

She opened her mouth to say something but was interrupted by the incessant honking of her father's car.

Time to put on a show.

~~~~~

The Astra pack was the first pack to arrive at the ballroom - which looked crafted by the moon goddess herself.

Chandeliers and candles illuminated the ballroom - giving it a low glow. The long pathway that led to the dancefloor was clad with fairy lights and pearl white sheets. A very huge window on the opposite side of the dancefloor gave a clear view of the moon, which was hanging low. Moonlight illuminated the black makeshift dancefloor.

Elysia stood beside Priscilla and the two girls observed and gulped down their welcome drinks.

All the lesser packs in their world were named after crystals - and the crystals were  also what distinguished one pack from another. Each and every  pack member from the lesser packs was made to wear their pack crystal in some form - bracelets, anklets, pendants - anything. The pack members also inherited the traits that their pack crystal possessed.

The first pack she noticed was the Azurite pack. They stood for truth - and were admired for the same. Never once in her whole 21 years had she heard  someone from the Azurite pack speak anything but the truth.

The next ones to enter were the members of the Amethyst pack. Elysia noticed how each and every member was calm - but sincere. And how it  was exactly the trait of the purple coloured crystal their pack was named after.

The Jasper pack was next. The only lesser pack to radiate almost as much confidence as the big three would. Filled with courageous hearts and chirpy minds that could absorb all negativity.

Elysia spotted the Obsidian pack at the very end of the ballroom. Postures erect and immaculate, feet apart, eyes scanning the whole ballroom all at once - scanning for threats. Shields of the werewolf community.

Lastly, Elysia's eyes fell on the only remaining lesser pack - the Agate pack. Primarily known for their stability and balance --

-- the loud chiming of the bell brought her out of reverie, also announcing the arrival of the Oberon pack and the Alecto pack. It was time for the trident of the big packs to complete.

Elysia went over to where her Alpha and Luna were standing to welcome the members of the Alecto and the Oberon pack.

She'd met the Alpha and Luna of the Oberon pack from when they had paid their annual visit to the Astra pack, so she knew what to expect. And sure enough, both of them walked in looking like the moon incarnate.