51. Betray with a kiss

Start from the beginning

She steps in front of me. One hand remains behind her back, while the other touches the iron bars.

Feeling a surge of emotion rush through me, I raise my eyes to meet hers.

"Stella Carter, you wished to see me." My voice comes out deeper. Different.

She swallows, stepping still closer. Her intoxicating scent waft towards me. The only thing that separates us are the damned bars of the dungeon door.

"Your-your eyes." She breathes. "It changed colours. They're blue now."

Electric blue. Like my mother's.

"What do you want from me?" I question.

She simply observes me for a long time. Then slowly, her eyes never leaving mine, she extends the hand she'd hidden behind her back.

My gaze travels to the heavy object covered by a cloth.

"What is this?"

A hint of a smile. "Something you want back."

I arch an eyebrow. "Is that so?"

She throws the cloth away and holds out the object towards the light.

A loud growl rips out of my throat as I push against the bars. But before I so much as get an inch closer, she pulls back, a victorious smile cutting across her face like a sharpened blade.

It's the book.

The book.

The one that can be unlocked with her name only.

"Give it back. It belongs to me!" I snarl.

She smirks, sliding it out of my reach. "Not so fast. I need answers first."

I growl again. "What answers?"

"Why didn't you tell me the truth?" Her voice is blunt, devoid of emotion as she clutches the book firmly in her hands. "Why didn't you tell me who you were the first time we met?"

"Would you have loved me if I had?"

She stays silent.

"Thought so." I remark bitterly.

"Why is this book so important to you?" She asks next. "Kiara, Ashton and my brother went through hell just to get this."

I lean against the bars. "I take it you've not unlocked it then?"

She shakes her head. "All I know is that it was after this book came into their hands that they found out we were mates. A fact which, by the way, I wasn't aware of myself."

"Your name unlocks this book. That's how they came to know." I reply. "How did you get your hands on it anyway?"

She's quiet for a moment. In the dim light, I see pink spots appear on her cheeks. She's blushing.

"I—I stole it while the WereGuardians and the other wolves were training." Heat crawls up her neck. "It's their fault really. They were the ones pissed me off by locking me up."