Chapter 1: Thelma and Louise

"What all schoolchildren learn, Those to whom evil is done

"What all schoolchildren learn, Those to whom evil is done. Do evil in return."

-W.H. Auden

Halloween is my least favorite holiday.

For sixty years, I fasten my doors to prevent young trick-or-treaters from entering my domain.

Unhealthy treats, filling pumpkin-shaped bags; people dressing up in distasteful Halloween outfits.

The sickening aroma of pumpkin spice lattes reminding me of my late husband. Time wanes as crows flock near the sight of my study.

They scream, fluff their black wings, and rub their beaks against the cold windowpane. But like many repulsed girls, Brooke Amethyst King shooed them away by anxiously tapping on the glass.

Dark purple drenched her fingernails. Her drab yellow waitress uniform looked like something you would find in a trash can.

Smoothing her untamed Afro, Brooke sighs as she walks back to her station.

Staring at the orange pumpkin decorations, Vanessa María Phoenix didn't look too keen to be in a crappy diner let alone smile in front of rude customers.

Her brown hair is tied up in a messy ponytail, but Nessa allows her bangs to cover half of her forehead.

She looks down at her dreary yellow outfit and wants to vomit into a trash can.

"How do people work like this?" she wonders.

Nessa would rather get ambushed by a vile demon than serve black coffee. Speaking of coffee, her crude boss Mr. Wakeman tells Nessa that her break ended two hours ago.

"Ugh!" Nessa groaned. "Brooke and I have been working here for four months! Can't you give us a paycheck?"

Mr. Wakeman puts his fists on his thick hips.

"Well, I am sorry," he says in a patronizing tone. "But you know I can't do that."

"Why not?"

"Because you never shut up and do your job."

Clutching the steamy pot of coffee in her hand, Nessa was about to smash it on Mr. Wakeman's head when Brooke restrains her.

"Do you want to get yourself thrown behind bars?" hissed Brooke.

Nessa pouts as she positions the coffee pot on the machine.