Above

Note: Hello! After this chapter, there are only five more. Savor them, friends. I decided to drag this out a little longer, so updates will now come once a week instead of twice. I will post on Wednesdays, unless I change my mind for whatever reason (but they will come once a week for sure). Happy reading. 

The moment the sun comes up the next morning, a faery climbs out of the side of one of the hills and flutters through camp. Patrick watches the side of the mound open and as the fae crawls out like a beetle. The doorway shuts after it, disappearing as if it were never there. The faery's wings look like a blur as they zip around camp, wings buzzing like a hummingbird's. It's small and slender, dressed in brightly colored fabric, making it easy to spot as it searches around.

The faery disappears out of Patrick's line of sight and the thought of it leaves his mind entirely. It's likely one of Clementine's contacts, so he isn't bothered in the slightest and instead settles back down to hopefully take a nap before getting up. His desire for more sleep is hindered by a gentle shake of his arm and a mild, "Get up."

It's Aodhan, so Patrick doesn't find himself too bothered, and reluctantly sits up to blink owlishly at him. Aodhan smiles and reaches out to fix Patrick's bed hair, a tender action which is effective at banishing any irritation Patrick had at being woken up.

"What is it?"

Aodhan's smile falters, but he continues to fix Patrick's hair to his liking, then rests his hand on his shoulder. "Titania has summoned Rozenn- and me."

Patrick frowns. "Is she angry?"

"I don't know."

"You're very smart," Patrick says. "You'll be all right. You didn't do anything bad- just some dark magic."

"Magic I'm not supposed to do," Aodhan corrects gently, but he smiles a little, leans forward to kiss Patrick's cheek, movement slow and lingering. He kisses lower, dangerously close to his lips as he whispers, "Come with me."

Patrick's eyelashes flutter. "Is that a good idea?"

"If she's angry, you'll soften her. You can tell her about Lena."

"You don't want to go alone."

At the accusation, Aodhan's hand jumps on Patrick's arm, but he doesn't deny it. Patrick is doubtful Aodhan would want him to go somewhere knowing the worst will happen, so he doesn't press, just nods and says, "I'll go with you."

"Thank you."

Patrick grabs Aodhan's free hand and twines their fingers together. He's not comfortable going, but he can't imagine any other situation where he would be. Travelling to the Above is no silly game and he's going to see the queen of the Seelie, no less.

"They'll be waiting," Aodhan sighs, helping Patrick to his feet, careful to avoid the sleeping William curled up on the ground.

He doesn't have time to make himself look more presentable, but Aodhan and Rozenn are just as bedraggled and war-worn as he is and the three of them make quite the sight. Patrick leaves Ivo to watch over William and follows Aodhan and Rozenn to the hill where the faery waits for them.

The faery gives Patrick a curious look, but his joining the party must not be a problem, for it says nothing and opens the doorway to the lands of the Seelie with no delay. Patrick doesn't let go of Aodhan's hand the whole time they pass through the cheerful, decorated fae village, tries not to pay it any mind.