Fate

Patrick breathes heavily as he tries to calm himself down. It's pitch black outside; the only light comes from the still roaring fire. He takes a deep breath and rolls onto his side, facing the woods.

Something is glowing from within the trees, just a few feet in front of him. At first Patrick thinks it's Ivo, but he's never seen Ivo look like that before.

"Ivo?" he calls and a black shadow flickers at his feet, looking up at him with milky eyes.

It can't be Ivo. Patrick looks over at the light. It's center is a faded blue and all around it dark blue, somehow reminiscent of fire, surrounds it. It floats, casting a little shadow underneath it. The blue fire lets off a gentle hum or a purr that seems to grow slightly louder the longer he looks at it.

Come here, the light seems to say. Come and follow.

Patrick looks at Ivo, who sits by his feet, quiet as ever. He stands up, shrugging off the blanket that had been placed over him while he was asleep.

A wisp, Patrick thinks.

Patrick recalls being six years old and running in the woods with Lena, searching for will o' the wisps. They thought that if they found one, they could find money and save their families.

Ivo looks up at Patrick and then hisses at the blue flame which momentarily flickers before reappearing full force.

Come. Follow, it says.

As soon as he sets foot towards the blue fire, it disappears and reappears a few feet behind him. Patrick steps over Lena, who had curled up beside him to sleep, and heads toward the wisp. More lanterns appear, all of them making a path toward the burning castle.

Follow, he swears he hears echo in his head.

They will take me to fate or fortune, he knows. I think I have to follow now. I've already started. It can't do much harm, can it?

Ivo hisses at his side, but seeing Patrick walk toward the wisp, he reluctantly follows. The wisps hums, low and steady as they lead him back to the castle.

Come here, they say. Follow.

Patrick starts faster after the lights when their voices become more persistent. Ivo is running alongside him, switching between a solid form and a shadow one, rapidly as if in a panic. Ivo hisses occasionally, but keeps on. Patrick can't feel the chill of the air or the heat of the fire as he moves closer to it. The wisps are taunting him, but he has to follow. They want to take him somewhere.

They lead him straight to the fire. If it wasn't for Ivo, who jumps in front of Patrick, knocking him back, he would have hit the burning castle wall, smack, face first. Patrick hits the ground with a grunt. Ivo bounces onto his chest, looking him straight in the eyes.

Patrick props himself up with an arm, looking around. The wisps are gone and it's just him, Ivo, and the burning castle. Ivo makes a sound, not quite a meow, but not quite a hiss and leaps off Patrick's chest. Patrick stands, watching Ivo violently swish his tail back and forth.

"Let's go back, Ivo," he says.

Ivo cranes his head to look at him, colorless eyes staring at him. He starts walking down the path, feeling a little stupid. What if Aithne and the others have already left? No, they wouldn't leave without him, would they?

As Patrick leaves, he hears voices over the crackle of the flames. He looks to Ivo, who doesn't offer any protest. He goes to the voices, hiding behind a tree when he spots the people.