~Chapter 30~

After a couple weeks, James came home announcing the trip to New York he had planned.

"Pappy and Nana want to see you guys." He said, as Gabby ran and jumped in his arms.

"Do they now?" I asked setting Arabella in the play pin.

"And I think its a wonderful idea."

***********************************

So the following week we flew to New York. When we arrived, James' parents were exhilarated to see all of us. Especially the kids. We unloaded all the bags into the guest room and then went out to the kitchen to help start supper. James' dad was already telling Gabby funny stories while holding Hudson. His mother was humming quietly in the kitchen with Arabella in a high chair.
James sat down with his father while I went into the kitchen to help Cathy. Arabella sat playing with her stuffed animal cat.

"The relief it must be." Cathy said, slicing carrots into a bowl.

She didn't have to clarify what she was talking about. I knew she was talking about Troy. How he was gone and never coming back. And she was right. I'd never felt so much relief.

"Truly is a miracle." She added.

"I couldn't have done it without James." I replied, turning my head and looking at him as he bounced Hudson on his knee carefully.

"I'd never see that boy so in love."

"After he asked me out I wasn't-"

"Oh no, dear. Before that."

"What?" I chuckled, looking over at her.

"As soon as you set foot in that condo in LA. And as soon as he saw you. He knew it was you. He called and rambled on about how beautiful you were and how sweet and remarkable you were." She cleared her throat and then smiled like she was remembering something. "He talked about you all the time. Never stopped calling. He never came out and said he loved you until the night you disappeared. At the hotel. But he always had."

"He saved my life."

"And he'd do it again and again and again."

***********************************

Once supper was over and the plates were cleared and washed, James' parents went in the play room with the kids.

"They're so happy we're here." James said, wrapping his arms around my waist as I placed a clean cup in the cabinet.

"I know." I replied, smiling.

He laid his head on my shoulder and swayed back and forth. It was silent for a moment.

"Let's go somewhere." He whispered.

I laughed, "We can't leave."

"Course we can. They're having a blast with the kids. We can go out and see New York. The last time we tried Blaze took you."

I shivered at the thought. He was right. I hadn't been in New York since then. To be honest, I wasn't even sure I wanted to be anywhere near Central Park.

"Should we?" I ask, biting my lip.

"We really should." He teased.

He took my hand and called out to his parents we were heading out. I wasn't even sure they had cared enough to listen; they were too infatuated with the kids.

"Where are we going?" I asked, as James led us down empty sidewalks.

"Somewhere." He said, grinning.

"But where?"

"Don't you trust me?"

"Definitely not." I joked.

We walked for about 10 minutes until we stopped on a busy bridge. Cars were rushing over and it overlooked the water and had a beautiful view of the buildings. In just a couple minutes, all of the lights would flash on and it'd be even more spectacular.

"Isn't it beautiful?" He asked, even though it was more of a statement.

"Gorgeous." I replied, smiling out.

I placed my hands on the railing and looked out into the water and all of the buildings. I closed my eyes and let the air rush through my hair. And for the first time in a long time, I felt completely safe. Standing at a 50 foot height, looking out into this horrid world, I felt safe.

"I always dreamed of proposing here when I was growing up. It seemed like a beautiful spot. Such an attention getter." James said, smiling out at the city

"Would be amazing." I agreed.

"I was hoping you'd agree."

He stepped away from the railing and placed one knee on the ground. He stuck his hand in his jacket pocket and pulled out a little black box. My mouth slowly dropped open.

"I know this isn't technically a proposal since I already have, but when I proposed to you, a lot was happening. Your memory was barely back, Blaze was still around, Troy hadn't even showed up yet, and nobody was around. And to you that may seem fine, but for me it wasn't. I wanted as many people to see the love I had for you being put out. At the time that wasn't an option. But now it is. And none of these people know our story. They don't know we're already married with three kids, so I'll play it off like I've never proposed in my life. And even though I've done it once, I've never been this nervous. Looking at you now; tears in your eyes and a smile on your face, I'm nervous. You make me nervous Brooke Cassidy. But that's what I love about it. Because I could scream out the love I have for you and would enjoy to feel my heart in my throat. I want this whole world to know how desperately in love I am with you. So what do you say? Will you marry me? Again."

I was completely speechless. It didn't matter if he had already proposed, it meant the world to hear what he said. And I was nervous and 100 percent breathless.

I walked over to him and took his hand, pulling him up in front of me. I placed my hands around his neck and smiled with tears threatening to fall.

"I would marry you an infinity number of times and I'd never lose the feeling I have right now." I said.

He smiled with tears glistening in his eyes. He then slowly brought my hand away from my neck and slid the old engagement ring off. I took it from him and slipped it into my pocket. Then as the city lights lit up, he slipped the new ring on my finger. The colors danced in the diamond and shined as bright as a star. He smiled and put my hand back behind his neck like the other one. Then he laid his fingers under my chin and pulled me into him, kissing me affectionately.

"James..." I mumbled, quietly.

"Hmm?" He slipped out between my lips.

"Thank you."

He leaned back a little ways and looked at me confused.

"For protecting me. For staying with me. For loving me. For saving me." I said, looking deeply in his eyes.

"I'll never stop." He replied, tucking a strand of hair behind my ear.

He leaned back in to kiss me, but stopped before he got there. He pressed his lips together and dropped his head. I waited for him to speak.

"You're the best thing that's ever happened to me, Brooke. And I'll never stop being so madly in love with you."

•I wrote this a couple days ago and I was crying for half an hour. Go ahead and judge me!
The epilogue will be up on Thursday. I warn you now. I honestly hate myself for writing it.
I'll do a huge thank you on Thursday, but I do want to say a quick thanks now. Without you guys, I promise you these books would've been deleted after a month. I just reached 6.09K on this one and the first one is so close to 50K. I've found that I am infatuated with the idea of spending my life writing. So thank you for the comments and the votes. Thank you for sticking around because you have no clue how much that means to someone who doesn't have that often. I love you guys. See you Wednesday.•