~Chapter 24~

"Bad news?" I asked, eyeing the doctor.

"Yes. When we were running the tests we found a few anomalous swellings. At first, we thought nothing irregular of it, but then we found a few nontypical cells."

"What's that mean?" Brooke asked, with a shaky voice.

"You're daughter has cancer."

It was like a bullet coming out. Brooke dropped her head and I scrambled to find her hand.

"We're you aware that she was a recent cancer patient?" The doctor asked.

"What? No. We adopted her and they never told us." I said.

"When she was a baby, yes. Right now we just need to keep her here so we can run more tests and try to get them out before they duplicate or grow."

"Thank you."

He nodded his head and walked back the way he came. The waiting room was now silent. I stepped in front of Brooke and tilted her chin up. Her eyes were dry, but her face was crushed.

"They'll get it figured out. She'll be fine." I assured her.

"I know. I'm okay." She replied, shaking her head.

"Are you sure cause-"

"I said I'm okay, I'm okay."

She walked away and sat in one of the chairs. Logan and Octavia looked at me.

"She's not okay." I said, shaking my head.

"Should we go?" Logan asked.

"You guys don't have to stick around. I'll call you later."

"Okay. Call if you need anything."

Logan and Octavia made their way out the doors while I went over and sat in a seat next to Brooke. I didn't say anything. It was my best option to just stay quiet. Instead, I slowly took her hand. She began to pull away, but I held tighter and turned my head to her. She was biting the inside of her cheek and attempted to pull away again with greater force. This time I stood up and pulled her up with me. I pulled us both outside and away from the hospital doors.

"What are you doing? Quit." She said, annoyed.

"No. Stop." I said, placing my palms on her cheek and my fingers behind her jaw. "Listen to me. You're getting yourself overly worked up. We'll make it through this. We always do."

"It's different. Our child has cancer." She mumbled, still annoyed.

"Baby, she'll be okay. You worrying yourself to death and taking it out on everyone else definitely doesn't solve this any faster."

"I just want a break."

"If we were rewarded with breaks anytime we wanted, it wouldn't be much of an adventuring life, would it?"

She slowly shook her head and bit her lip faintly. I ran my thumb along her cheek and jawline until her eyes drifted to mine. I smiled slightly at her before I laid my lips on hers. Eventually, I felt her lips curl to smile against my own.

************************************

••3 week later••

"Are you feeling better?" James asked, coming into the bathroom one morning.

The pervious night I had woken up 3 times with morning sickness.

"Being pregnant sucks." I mumbled, my head on the edge of the toilet.

He chuckled and crouched down by me. He moved my hair to my shoulder and rubbed my back slowly.

"It'll all be worth it though in 8 months."

I cracked a smile and James helped me off the floor. He gently picked me up and carried me bridal style to the couch.

"I'm gonna get you some sprite. You just lay here." James said, walking towards the kitchen.

"Are you visiting Gabby at the hospital today?" I called to him.

Gabriella had been in and out of the hospital since we found out she had cancer. Some days were good and others weren't. She'd only been home 2 times since the first time she went in and was really missing home.

"Probably. They were running a few tests today though and I don't want to interrupt that." He replied, handing me the cup.

"Thank you. I really miss her."

"We all do. She's gonna make it through this though. She's strong."

I nodded and took a sip of the sprite letting it sizzle its way down my throat. I laid my head down on the pillow and looked up at James with a small smile.

"What do you want?" He asked, cocking his eyebrows at me.

"Nothing. I was just thinking about what a great husband you are." I replied, batting my eyelashes.

"Aww. I guess I am, aren't I?"

"Bit cocky."

He gave a sly smile and slowly leaned down linking his lips to mine. He pulled me closer to him and tried fitting on the couch with me.

"Ow, ow, ow!" I slurred, against his lips.

He quickly hopped up and held up his hands in a surrender like form.

"Did I hurt you? What'd I do?" He asked, panicked.

"My stomach just had another contraction. It's fine." I chuckled, holding in the pain.

"Are you sure you can stay here by yourself?"

"I'm sure. You go see Gabby and make her feel better. I'll be here watching my pregnancy tapes."

He laughed and gave my forehead a lingering kiss. He then grabbed his keys from the table and walked out to the garage to the car. I heard him start the ignition and pull the car away from the house. I then grabbed the remote from the table and clicked on my pregnancy show. And...play.

•That wasn't too long without an update, was it? Probably. I updated it as soon as I finished, like I said.

This week has been exhausting and time consuming. Just so irritable and not even in the mood. I just want to sleep till 2065. So sick and so tired. And honestly just need someone to bring me Starbucks and a fuzzy blanket and cuddle with me. Like pwease..

I'll talk to you guys; hopefully soon. Until then....vote, comment, follow. Goodnight. (or good morning.)•

>sorry for any mistakes<