1 | Pride And Honor

And baby, I get mystified by how this city screams your name

_____________________

Five years prior

Joy

I was curled into a blanket with a hot coffee mug in my hands, and my favourite book 'Wuthering Heights' in my lap. It was a cold evening, and according to the news weather reports, the temperature was going to drop further.

Sipping the coffee, I sighed in content. My phone chimed, and I looked at the lit up screen. It was a message from my friend, Yuqi telling me about this party at the new restaurant in the city.

It was one of the restaurants the Famiglia had invested in recently. My friends didn't know that of course. Because if they had, they wouldn't have gone there as much as invited me. A knock on the door made me look up, and I saw my younger brother Kevin popping his head into the room.

"Sooyoung." His smile was wide, and I narrowed my eyes at him.

"I'm not lying to father for you again."

"My Sooyaaaa..." He strolled into the room, and sat on the bed beside me. "You're my joy, my source of happiness. If you won't support me then who will?" He pouted, and I rolled my eyes.

I kept my eyes on the book, but with my brother's puppy eyes on me, I couldn't concentrate. Sighing, I turned to him. "Kevin, you're in the middle of starting an initiation process, you aren't expected to step back from your responsibilities."

"I'm not doing it." He shook his head. "It's just a small party I want to attend. I'm turning 16 next week, and then all this responsibility of carrying on the family name will weigh on my shoulders." He pouted, and grabbed my hands. "I want to enjoy myself before I become a made man, but dad won't let me. Please help me out."

Since Kevin's initiation process was nearing, dad had been extra strict to him. His days of being a free flying bird had come to an end as soon as he knew what it meant to be a bird. His feathers were no longer under his control, instead it belonged to famiglia now.

"I'm 17, only two years older than you." I ruffled his hair. "You're making a lot of big deals with your sentiments."

"Siamo una famiglia felice," He said, and I chuckled, nodding my head. "I saw the next head of the Famiglia today. Kim Chulwoo."

My heart dropped. "Did he say something?"

Kevin shrugged. "Not really. He ignored me like I was some insect, which according to him is everyone else. He's an asshole."

"He's a deadly man. I can't imagine working under him," I said worried. Kim Chulwoo was known as the most scary and murderous man in the famiglia. He was unhinged, which made him worse than the current Capo.